VMware Cloud Community
neeper67
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What Management Interface should I use for the free version of ESXi

I am planning on implementing the free version of ESXi on a server that has Intel VT technology.

I do need a management interface for my free version of ESXi.

I was told by someone that I need VSphere to manage.

Can I just purchse the VSphere and should be fully compatable with the free ESXi?

If so, What version of VSphere should I purchase?

What are my alternatives to an easy GUI to manage that will not cost too much? ( I am planning to only managing 5 virtural machines on the ESXi server)

Thanks in Advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When you download the VI client from the http://<your_server_IP> you will have the GUI Virtual Infrastructure Client. Not a powershell environment. See attached screenshot.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Once you install ESXi you can use the VI client to manage the server for free. To install the client point your web browser to the IP of the ESXi server and you will be able to download and install the VI client on your machine. All you need to do at that point is point the VI client at the IP of your ESXi server and provide login credentials. This free management tool will provide you with the ability to create and power on VM's.

If you want to enable advanced management features like clustering and HA/DRS then you need to purchase the Virtual Center Server and a license for your ESXi host(s). You cannot manage the free ESXi hosts without first licensing them to be managed by a Virtual Center Server instance.

neeper67
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have tried VI, but looking for something with more of a GUI instead of powershell. (I appreciate the free alternative)

How about a GUI like VSphere?

Do you know what I can use to manage the free ESXi with a novice GUI?

0 Kudos
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When you download the VI client from the http://<your_server_IP> you will have the GUI Virtual Infrastructure Client. Not a powershell environment. See attached screenshot.

0 Kudos
neeper67
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Got it. I have installed it, but it is only a trial and needs a license.

Thank-you

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Login the the Download area to get ESXi again. Towards the top of the page is your license.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have a look at the Veeam Monitor application http://www.veeam.com/esxi-monitoring-free.html

With that installed along with the VI client you get a pretty complete management tool. You can even access the VM's directly from the monitor app.

0 Kudos
neeper67
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I really like the free monitor. Very cool. But I need more of the vSphere management tool to fully manage virtural machines within the ESXi.

You mentioned a license, but I cannot find it. Is that license for ESXi or VSphere? I beleive the VSphere is not free.

( Sorry, I am not good with the VI.)

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Download the ESXi software again. You will need to log in to download it. Once you have logged in, the license will be displayed toward the top of the page. Look closely at the page.

The VI client integrates with the Veeam Monitor program. You have the Monitor program and the VI client all in one.

0 Kudos
neeper67
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is the license for the ESXi?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes. That is why I said download ESXi again. It gives you the License for the product you are downloading.

0 Kudos
neeper67
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes. I already have the license for ESXi. I am only curious about a the VSphere license, which I am pretty sure I have to purchase.

But I do like your recommendation for the Free solution for using the VI client (which I am a little hesitant due to the powershell part of it) and the monitor app.

I want to download the monitor and see how well Vi integrates with it.

All I really need to do is create, add and delete virtural workstations. I also need to turn them on and off with ease. Along with adjusting memory, hard drive size and booting to CD's, but all needs to be done with ease using a nice GUI.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The VI client is NOT a powershell interface. It is a Windows GUI and it does all the things you want to do. Read the earlier posts in this thread CAREFULLY. There are directions for downloading it directly from your ESXi install.

0 Kudos
neeper67
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect! I was able to install the VI and use my license within VI and was able to use the ESX license to activate my ESX server and the VI client.

Sorry for the confusion, I have VI Toolkit which is a free management powershell tool and was gettting it mixed up with the Virtural Infrastructire Client (VI) which I think is now replaced using the name of vSphere.

Well, thank-you very much and now I am all set to go with my free VI and free ESX using the serial numbers provided on the download page.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have fun.

0 Kudos