VMware Cloud Community
phyregold
Contributor
Contributor

WOL setup and how it works.

I'm trying to conservate as much power as possible and I work remotely from my servers.

Does WOL only work for the VM inside of ESXI enviroment or can it control the box itself?  If you can WOL the box itself, how do you do so within the vsphere 4.0 console?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

phyregold wrote:

I'm trying to conservate as much power as possible and I work remotely from my servers.

Does WOL only work for the VM inside of ESXI enviroment or can it control the box itself?  If you can WOL the box itself, how do you do so within the vsphere 4.0 console?  Thanks!

This has been touch and go for a few years.  I dabbled in it, it has many bugs, plus you need special commands to give a Server / VM to "wake" it up..it's not a simple ping request to bring up a server..

There were many bugs, some people claimed to have it working, I never could.  It's not a big deal for us.. however your power saving is via the host not the VM's.  VM's don't actually take energy to run.. if they are idle.  the physical host is what occupies energy, so what you should concentrate on is setting up vCenter with the power management.. that's what you want.

WOL is great for times when a server goes down (like a power outage) and doesn't come back.. other than that, I think it's basically zero value.  We have remote access cards and other ways to reach servers, WOL is pretty much useless anymore..

0 Kudos
phyregold
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a really good guide on power management on the host?  I'm using vsphere 4.0, and my problem is my webserver is kicking 8-5pm and other than that i could power it off, but i need to be able to wake it up remotely.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

One idea may be to set a task to power it on.  If you need it up by 7:30 AM each day you can set a task to start it, so you don't need to start in case you forget..

Edit the host, VM startup.  then create a task to start it at specified time.

0 Kudos
phyregold
Contributor
Contributor

really, how do i create a task?

Thank you!

0 Kudos