VMware Cloud Community
4olle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmware esx3i, Update 4, Powershell

I use Powershell to backup some of my development servers once a week, after applying update 4 this does not work anymore, yes I’m certain it did work before update 4.

When I noticed that it didn’t work anymore I tested some of the commands manually, one of the first is to shutdown the guest. When I try to do that now I get this: "Operation 'Shutdown VMGuest' failed for VM 'my-happy-server' for the following reason: fault.RestrictedVersion.summary"

I did a few searches and there are some notes about licensing. I didn’t get what’s what… I registered to download and got a serial, so I’m a free user I guess using a user serial. I use VMware ESX Server 3i, 3.5.0, 158869

Ehhh… so what gives?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

On the initial ESXi boot screen you can press shift+r to revert back to the prior version of ESXi that you were running.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. With update 4, the free version of ESXi went back to being read only for configuration changes. I was under the impression that it would impact items like changing the configuration of your host, but it appears to extend to managing VMs as well (i.e. I test with the RCLI to create a snapshot and it failed with the restricted version error).

wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm not sure on what line in your code that does the backup fails, but you are seeing a side effect of VMware closing up on an unintended ability to use the RCLI to use read/write operations as was released with update 3. So basically it is a restriction from using the free version. A very dumb restriction if you ask me.

The only "solution" you have for this problem is to go back to update 3.

See also:

http://planetvm.net/blog/?p=477

for more details on this.

--

Wil

Visit the VMware developers wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
4olle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys, now I know Smiley Sad

So how do I go back to update 3? Is there a simple way to revert or do I have to start all over?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

On the initial ESXi boot screen you can press shift+r to revert back to the prior version of ESXi that you were running.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

oops, were talking ESXi here and not ESX... i stand corrected.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos