VMware Cloud Community
naptrel
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual machine auto-start not working...and now I know why

Hi all,

Just spent a few hours trawling the internet trying to find out why I can't get my virtual machines to auto-start. Eventually cracked it for myself after reading through log files. Once I found the solution, searched again on the internet, and lo and behold, the solution is listed on Dave M's vm-help.com site as a common issue.

Anyway, in the off chance that this post will appear in someone else's search (hence the repeated use of keywords), here's the deal:

On ESXi, virtual machines won't auto-start, even if you have gone to the Virtual Machine startup/shutdown pane of the VI Client and moved the machines up or down to the "Automatic Startup" or "Any order" sections, if you are running a standalone ESXi host (i.e. not vCenter) and you have "Lockdown Mode" enabled.

That's all.

Nathaniel

2 Replies
Walfordr
Expert
Expert

Thanks. I have a standalone ESXi 3.5 dev box. Good to know.

-

Robert, Network Administrator

BSIT, MCP, A+, VCP (VI3)

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
the4amfriend
Contributor
Contributor

My lockdown mode is disabled and I'm running vCenter too - but still autostart won't work. I'm on esxi 7.0.2!!!

0 Kudos