VMware Cloud Community
COS
Expert
Expert

Virtual Nic - TCP/IP socket errors

What logs can I check local on the ESXi server to trouble shoot this, if any? Also for ESX.

This is on a Windows 2003 Ent Server x32 on an ESXi server HP DL380.

Please post absolute paths to the log files. Include any other log files I should check as well.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

What exactly issue do you have? where do you see these socket errors? Within Guest OS? 3 paths to consider: /var/log/vmkernel, /var/log/vmkwarning, /var/log/vmware/hostd.log, and also path to VM logs /vmfs/volumes/NAME/VMname/vmware.log

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
COS
Expert
Expert

We're seeing this inside the VM but I just want to cover my bases to check possibility of problems in the ESX layer.

Thanks

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

What type of NIC are you using for your vm?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

Don't forget to leave points for helpful/correct posts.

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert

Per VIC it's using E1000.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

For consistency sake, I use vmware enhanced for my NIC of choice. I've seen slower performance using the E1000 NIC itself. I'm not saying you should be getting socket errors from the NIC though, it should be very stable. Where are you seeing the socket errors?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

Don't forget to leave points for helpful/correct posts.

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos