VMware Cloud Community
vionluke
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vi3 and SAN Configuration

Hi,

I am a storage admin and I am looking for some guidance with SAN configuration on ESX server.

Currently we run multiple instances of HP-Blade enclosures with ESX servers. The HP blade enclosures have built-in Brocade switches that are the only method to connect to the outside storage world. Currently, we have 48Ks that serve as our core of our fabric with the HP Brocades ISL'd to the 48Ks and the HDS USP connected to the 48Ks. With our exponential expansion it is becoming harder and harder to have the only ISL hop between the 48K and the built-in Brocade switch.

I have had an ongoing discussion with someone claiming that VMWare does not support ESX crossing more than one ISL hop and that it flat doesn't work if you have more than one ISL.

Could someone please help with this, either with VMWare quotes or personal experience.

I realize the ideal is the fewest ISL hops possible but in an expanding environment the $$$ is not always there. I would at least like to have the option of being able to go from HP-Brocade to Brocade 4900 to Brocade 48K to Storage, or something like that.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bretti
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi vionluke, I have never heard of the limitation of 1 ISL hop to support ESX server you speak of. ESX will not care how many ISL links there are to get to it's storage. It will not even know they are there. Possibly the only reason someone would notice would be performance issues related to multiple ISLs.

Check the storage compatibility guide for Supported Storage Configurations There is no mention of ISLs.

Hope that helps. I can tell you from experience when calling VMware for support they have never asked me how many ISLs there are between my hosts and my storage.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bretti
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi vionluke, I have never heard of the limitation of 1 ISL hop to support ESX server you speak of. ESX will not care how many ISL links there are to get to it's storage. It will not even know they are there. Possibly the only reason someone would notice would be performance issues related to multiple ISLs.

Check the storage compatibility guide for Supported Storage Configurations There is no mention of ISLs.

Hope that helps. I can tell you from experience when calling VMware for support they have never asked me how many ISLs there are between my hosts and my storage.

0 Kudos