VMware Cloud Community
Techmerlin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Veeam Backup and Free Functionality Mode

Folks,

I started a support call with Veeam after installing their new Backup and Replication 4.1.1 after getting an error "Free ESXi is not supported" after some troubleshooting the tech has me determine what License Feature Info level is listed, either ESXFull or ESXBasic. After determining it is ESBasic they advised that we are in "Free Functionality Mode" and to call VMWare Licensing.

Am I missing somethgin here, I thougth all ESXi were free, has anyone dealt wiht such an issue and how do I go about getting this to ESXFull??

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi free is free. It can be be licensed for use with the rest of the vSphere product suite. In free mode there are several things that are not available including the storage API. Veeam backup uses the storage API which means you must have a licensed version of ESXi. The most basic version of a licensed bundle is http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/buyvsphere-small-business.html

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi free is free. It can be be licensed for use with the rest of the vSphere product suite. In free mode there are several things that are not available including the storage API. Veeam backup uses the storage API which means you must have a licensed version of ESXi. The most basic version of a licensed bundle is http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/buyvsphere-small-business.html

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As far as I know, the promo pricing ($495) for the Essentials Version, DSTAVERT linked to, is only valid until July, 25th.

If you consider to buy it, make sure you don't miss this date, otherwise the price will be about $1000.

André

0 Kudos
Techmerlin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks A.P and DSTAVERT,

do you know if this will work for 3.5 and 4, or will I have to re-purchase after I upgrade to 4?

(e.g. should I upgrade to 4 1st and then purchase this, or does it matter)

thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The vSphere Essentials editions are only available for 4.0. You cannot downgrade these licenses.

Therefore your only option would be to upgrade to 4.0

see KB1010533 - Downgrading a vSphere 4.0 license to a ESX 3.5 license for details

Note: The downgrade option is not available with ESXi 4 Single Server, vSphere 4 Essentials, and vSphere 4 Essentials (Plus).

André

0 Kudos