VMware Cloud Community
Tech12
Contributor
Contributor

VSwitch Limitations

I am working with a specific server model which is the Dell R610 w/4 NICs (Single Host). I have created 2 vswitches 0 and 1. Vswitch0 is used for my production network linked to vmnic0 as its only uplink. Vswitch1 is my isolated non-routable local network with vmnic1 and 2 uplinks connected. I have no issues what so ever with vswitch0 or that production network. My issue is with Vswitch1 because when I connect physical cables into uplink port #2 and #3 using vmnic1 and vmnic2 only one or the other devices will communicate. Both devices will not communicate at the same time. Next, on the host in question I have 1 XP OS virtual machine that controls these devices I cannot get to communicate.

I have a similar configuration setup using a Dell 1950 host w/2 NICs using a small 5 port external switch in Port# 2 and I have no problems at all.

My root question is: Can a VSwitch act exactly is a physical switch? It seems as if the Vswitch doesn't have the brains to determine which adapter to send thru when multiple adapters are present.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - It all depends on the configuration of your vSwitch and its NIC teaming - I am assuming that your vSwitch configuration is left in its default configuration and you have only been testing with a single VM - by default all vmnics are active and the NIC Teaming policy is set to Virtual Port Based - the NIC Teaming method means that the VMkernel will select which uplink port (vmnic) the traffic go out based on the Virtual Port the VM is connected to so with single VM connected to the vSwitch and powered on you will see the traffic come across only a single port -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You can configure the vSwitch in lots of different ways. The default is "Route based on originating Port ID" which means the physical uplinks are assigned in a Round Robin manner. Another option is to set uplinks as active and/or standby, which means that only if the active uplink fails, the standby uplink is used. Please check your current configuration and provide detailed infos if you cannot solve the issue.

see http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/virtual_networking_concepts.pdf

André

0 Kudos
Tech12
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply - Basic knowledge on Vmware vswitching is not what I am seeking Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Tech12
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply

0 Kudos