VMware Cloud Community
ipatelvmware
Contributor
Contributor

VMware vCenter Converter BootCD for vCenter Server

Hi

I have never tried the process off doing a cold migration, and was hoping ot get some steps to follow to carry out a cold p2v.using VMware vCenter Converter BootCD for vCenter Server

Thanks

IP

Imran Patel
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

Boot the physical Server from the converter CD, select your vCenter Server as destination and convert the system into a VM. You can also use P2V with running physical systems and Vmware Converter 4.0 Standalone.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
ipatelvmware
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Does the destination have to be vcentre, or can I just locate the files to a different destination ?

Also do you know what pe tools is used for, as I have downloaded the offline converter, but it also includes a file called "PE tools" as well as the actual ISO

Thank you

IP

Imran Patel
0 Kudos
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

You can choose other destination, too (WS, Server etc.). Be aware that hot P2V using Converter standalone with Linux Systems only allows VCenter / ESX as destinatio tho. I can only guess about PE Tools, but it is probably used to customtize to PE based Converter Boot CD.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos