VMware Cloud Community
mrfitp
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Server 2.0 to ESXi Conversion

We were using Vmware server 2.0 in the latest build just before production release. Now with ESXi available I would like to move to this platform. I found one article about how to perform this conversion which is listed below. however when booting I get a invalid format disk type 7 error message. How can I move these VM's easily, we have about 12 VM's that need migrated.

1. Access the ESXi console

2. Press Alt+F1

3. Type the word "unsupported", and press enter

4. Enter the root password.

5. Run the vmkfstools command to convert your image:

vmkfstools -i /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/SAV01.vmdk /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/SAV01_new.vmdk

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Am I always hesitant at selecting somthing that is listed as unsupported - I would take a look at vmware converter - that will allow you to move the vmware server VMs into your ESXi host -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
mrfitp
Contributor
Contributor

Can I use the free converter? Or do I have to use the paid version? I'm open to the machine being off if that helps.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes I believe you can use the free converter as you can do it with the machine powered off -

0 Kudos
mrfitp
Contributor
Contributor

So shut the machine off and boot from something? or just run the converter and I can pick the disk? when I run the converter it wants me to pick a physical machine only..

0 Kudos
emanon00
Contributor
Contributor

Just install vmware convertor in a windows machine, (you may install in the vmware server 2.0 if it is windows based)

run the convertor then you can find the way to convert to vm from server 2.0 format to esxi

0 Kudos
grndmstr
Contributor
Contributor

the free converter should do everything you want, although you will only be able to import one vm at a time. the paid version supports multiple concurrent imports.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

That is one method however it is not the most intuative of methods, it would be far eaiser to do a hot clone of your machines using VM Converter, cold cloning (ie when the machine is turned off is not available with the free version of converter) download VMconvertor from here.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos