VMware Cloud Community
NoobieSoft
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware ESXi 3.5 U3 Installation hangs up while "Loading module sata_svw"

I tried to install ESXi on a DELL 2970 with PERC 5/i and the installation stops while loading module sata_svw...

the last entry in the kernel log is:

WARNING: LinSCSI: 3494 The driver failed to call scsi_done from its abort handler and yet it returned SUCCESS

How could I get rid of this problem?

THANK YOU!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

had the same Problem, its clearly the sata device on the PE2970 :_| .

If you disable (both) sata controller in BIOS installation will work Smiley Wink . Sad enough: you will miss your CD-Rom drive. So I used a USB CD ROM for installalation.

I know this is only a workaround, cause I need the buildin CD for the Guest machines, but I hope that there will be a driver update soon :smileyshocked: .

Regard

Thomas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ThomasN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

had the same Problem, its clearly the sata device on the PE2970 :_| .

If you disable (both) sata controller in BIOS installation will work Smiley Wink . Sad enough: you will miss your CD-Rom drive. So I used a USB CD ROM for installalation.

I know this is only a workaround, cause I need the buildin CD for the Guest machines, but I hope that there will be a driver update soon :smileyshocked: .

Regard

Thomas

0 Kudos
zbaker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you disable the cd-rom drive during installation can you enable it after and have it be recognized by VMware?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You might also try setting the CD-ROM mode to legacy / IDE if the host's BIOS supports it.

0 Kudos
ThomasN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, sorry for the delay,

1. If you disabled the CD-ROM Drive you can not enable it after install.

2. With the last Update just a week or two ago everything works fine. That is: after the update you can enable and use the CD ROM.

Greetings

Thomas

0 Kudos
ArunKathir
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a new Dell PE T605 machine and I'm facing the same problem while installing the ESXi server on that. I did find the update, but not sure how to proceed with the update as the ESXi is not even installed in the bare machine. I tried the latest ESXi installable that was downloaded yesterday, but the same issue remains.

Please help!!

Arun

0 Kudos
ThomasN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Arun,

I supose you try to install the ESXi instalable.

I supose (but am not sure) that if you download the instalable +_now_ +it will contain taht fix and everything works fine.

If not: you must disable your cdrom drive in bios. Install ESXi from an external, maybe USB, CD ROM drive. Setup your machine. Download the Console and Updater from your machine. Update the installation via updater and than you can enable your CD ROM drive in BIOS again.

Greetings

Thomas

0 Kudos
ArunKathir
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm using the ESXi installable only.

I downloaded that on 26th Feb. I disabled the SATA port to which the DVD-ROM was connected and tried; but the result is same. I talked to Dell and got the reply that the only other option is to merge the patch files into the original iso image and try. Is this an easy thing to do?

Arun

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you disable the CD-ROM you could try an install from a USB flash drive - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/ESXi_USB_install.php.

0 Kudos
ReneKapeller
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same problem on a brand new 'HP ProLiant DL385 G5p" (ESXi 3.5 Update 3 | 123620 - 11/17/08)

Does anyone know, if VMware releases a working ISO soon?

Thanks

0 Kudos
ReneKapeller
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just learned, that HP and VMware are aware of the problem:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport:

SUPPORT COMMUNICATION - CUSTOMER ADVISORY

Document ID: c01628011

Version: 1

Advisory: ProLiant DL385 G5p Server - VMware ESX 3.5 Update 3 Installation or VMware ESXi 3.5 Update 3 System Boot Will Not Complete When Using the CD/DVD Optical Drive

NOTICE: The information in this document, including products and software versions, is current as of the Release Date. This document is subject to change without notice.

Release Date: 2008-12-09

Last Updated: 2008-12-09

DESCRIPTION

When attempting to boot VMware ESXi 3.5 Update 3 using the CD/DVD optical drive on a ProLiant DL385 G5p server with the SATA device driver for the Broadcom HT1000 controller installed, the server will stop responding. In addition, the optical drive will not function with VMware ESX 3.5 Update 3.

The following events will occur:

ProLiant DL385 G5p servers using VMware ESXi 3.5 Update 3 will stop responding during system boot and display the following message:

Loading module sata_sw.o

The CD/DVD of the ProLiant DL385 G5p server will fail while attempting to install VMware ESX 3.5 Update 3 , the installation will not complete, and the following message will be displayed on the console:

Loading VMKernel sata_svw.o

These issues occur because of an incompatibility between the Broadcom HT1000 SATA device driver and the CD/DVD optical drive. Any attempt to use the optical drive under the above mentioned conditions will cause these issues to occur.

-

8<-snip8<snip---

0 Kudos