VMware Cloud Community
krishy
Contributor
Contributor

VMware ESXi 3.5 Installation

Can I install ESXi 3.5 on Server?or on VMware workstation?..I am trying to install on one of my servers to host my virtual servers.....

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JoeLyons
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Yes, it should be possible.

Have a look at this:

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-9000.pdf

Joe

Remember to back EVERYTHING up before you change ANYTHING

Remember to back EVERYTHING up before you change ANYTHING and consider awarding points if answers where helpful to you.
0 Kudos
krishy
Contributor
Contributor

Joe,

Thanks for your response.I don't want to Install on any workstation ,I just want to boot the cd on the Server Directly .....Is that possible?

krishyy

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
JoeLyons
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is, but keeping ESXi config changes persistent may be an issue for you.

If you just want to create and run VMs without installing esx on your disks then it's probably the solution your looking for.

Joe

Remember to back EVERYTHING up before you change ANYTHING and consider awarding points if answers where helpful to you.
0 Kudos
krishy
Contributor
Contributor

Joe,

Is that better to install VMWare player on Server and install Esxi on it.....and how I can host my virtual servers once I installed ESXi3.5 on my server..I converted my one of my physical server to virtual server....I have that virtual server ..and I want to host it on the ESXi .....

Krishyyy

0 Kudos
JoeLyons
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware player will only allow you to run existng VM's, you cannot install a VM or ESXi in it..

From what I'm reading it sounds like you need to boot up off the ESXi cd and move your existing VM's over to it.(you may need convertor for that)

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

Joe

0 Kudos
krishy
Contributor
Contributor

Joe,

Thank you very much..I l try ..this..

krishyy

0 Kudos