VMware Cloud Community
technologist123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware DR – Workaround

Guys

I got few customers whom I provide IT support, they are small companies 5-10 people, 1 Windows SBS server for exchange and file/Print. Simple life Smiley Happy

They cannot afford or they do not need hifi VM solutions but I am wondering if I could arrange a simple & quick DR solution for them based on VMware.

I have to convince them as a proof of concept, good thing is that its all free.

Here is POC for my customers, please endorse it if all good or modify, would appreciate.

1. Get the new box and install ESXi 3.5 on it, configure and assign an IP address.

2. Install Vmware converter standalone client on one of the client machine and convert the physical server box into a virtual machine on the ESX host.

3. Turn off the physical box for the time being and let everyone connect to the new virtual server , test all good and OK

4. Turn off the VM and let the users back to the physical box.

5. Use the same converter to export the VM ( vmx and vmdk files) from the ESX host to an external drive.

6. Delete the VM from the ESX host and import back in from external drive.

7. Turn off the physical box and let the users to connect again to the VM.

Bottom line: In case of server(physical box) crash we have an arrangement to import back the vmx and vmdk files from the USB drive into ESX host within few minutes, we can do it every month to keep the data latest as much possible.

thanks in adv.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Well, it would be best solution if you virtualize all SMB servers and keep it that way instead of P2V them and archive it as you know the SMB on physical boxes will be out of synch with the one backup/archived so in case DR striked, your backup SMB servers aren't up to date anyways especially Exchange, SQL, DC, etc...unless those servers pretty much static. However, if you insist to still running in physical, I suggest have a backup solution for all the servers with system state and differential as you plan your schedule accordingly. P2V would takes alot of time and not synchronize at all. But you may use P2V to keep one single set of servers in VMDKs and archive it so in the future, you just load ESXi up and running at least you don't have to reconfigure OS/applications at all.

I would propose to have the servers run on ESX hosts and use local disks or free tools such as Openfiler, FreeNAS, Starwind etc...and they runs pretty well for small environment. You can use VCB or backup software to schedule backup jobs and restore anytime you wish.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Why you do not run SBS directly on ESX/ESXi?

At this point your can schedule DR backup operations with more frequency.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
technologist123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

YES but not at this stage

But my above question/post still remains.......

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Well, it would be best solution if you virtualize all SMB servers and keep it that way instead of P2V them and archive it as you know the SMB on physical boxes will be out of synch with the one backup/archived so in case DR striked, your backup SMB servers aren't up to date anyways especially Exchange, SQL, DC, etc...unless those servers pretty much static. However, if you insist to still running in physical, I suggest have a backup solution for all the servers with system state and differential as you plan your schedule accordingly. P2V would takes alot of time and not synchronize at all. But you may use P2V to keep one single set of servers in VMDKs and archive it so in the future, you just load ESXi up and running at least you don't have to reconfigure OS/applications at all.

I would propose to have the servers run on ESX hosts and use local disks or free tools such as Openfiler, FreeNAS, Starwind etc...and they runs pretty well for small environment. You can use VCB or backup software to schedule backup jobs and restore anytime you wish.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
technologist123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Stefan

Thanks for your reply, full of juice

I seems to be agree on running in ESX and forget about physical.

But I have few things to clarify regarding backup.very important

Imagine SBS server has been converted into ESX and running fine. Now imagine ESX machine completely crashed and I bring in new hardware and install ESX software again quickly in few minutes, then what next ? how can i import back the "up to date" vmx and vmdk files of the server? the free tools part of your post was not clear to me .

my small customer cannot afford VCB license etc , they are currently using cheap third party software to backup to a USB drive daily full or some time differential.

thanks and would appreciate ur reply again

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can run converter weekly or whatever to capture a copy of your VM. Use whatever tools they currently use for backup. In the event of a host crash bring up ESXi on another platform and use converter to copy the image to the new server. Use the backup tool to restore a current backup.

You can use ghetoVCB script to make your backup images http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8760

You can buy trilead explorer http://trilead.com

Too many options!

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
technologist123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can run converter weekly or whatever to capture a copy of your VM. Use whatever tools they currently use for backup. use converter to copy the image to the new server. Use the backup tool to restore a current backup.

thanks DST Some clarification required:

Even running converter weekly may not help to reduce the recovery time drastically because the backup tool differential backup set would not work until I restore the full set first.

Simple scenario.

On Sunday morning , the scheduled export/conversion runs through converter, Sunday night full normal backup runs , from Monday night differential backup is completed , imagine ESX crashes on Tuesday morning.

I have to import the vmx/vmdk files first then full backup on Sunday then restore the Monday differential, bcoz "differential" always make "full backup" as its reference point.

Mostly my customers use USB to do daily backup and USB has been the biggest challenge so far in ESXi as I have read numerous posts. So if I connect USB over the network as a NFS , you can imagine the horrendous restoration time over the network.

Conclusion:

Use differential backup of vmdk and vmx files by using script as u said , at least you are care free from full and differential backups. You can attach NAS (1Gbps ) directly with the ESX to overcome speed issue.

Please advise ..

Many thanks

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the image were written to NFS storage the server could be started from there. Then run your restore.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos