VMware Cloud Community
chevymannie
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare ESXi 3.5 Update 3 Network issue

We moved some servers to a new rack Saturday night and this morning I couldn't log into my VMWare server. I went to the console to check everything and noticed that the default gateway in my network settings had "not set" by it so I put it back and saved it. I came back into the settings to make sure it had saved and it had "not set" again. I ran into this issue before and didn't have time to figure it out and ended up having to totally reinstall the server. Even the repair option would not work. Has anyone seen this issue before or have any idea where to start looking for a resolution. I have three VMs on here and need to get this fixed ASAP.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
chevymannie
Contributor
Contributor

I figured out how to get to the gui. This server is on a seperate VLAN and I was able to ping it from that VLAN. I added the default gateway from the gui and I can now access like I usually do. Is VMWare aware of this and have they deployed a patch yet?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using HP server? See here: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/181870

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
natebc
Contributor
Contributor

We moved some servers to a new rack Saturday night and this morning I couldn't log into my VMWare server. I went to the console to check everything and noticed that the default gateway in my network settings had "not set" by it so I put it back and saved it. I came back into the settings to make sure it had saved and it had "not set" again. I ran into this issue before and didn't have time to figure it out and ended up having to totally reinstall the server. Even the repair option would not work. Has anyone seen this issue before or have any idea where to start looking for a resolution. I have three VMs on here and need to get this fixed ASAP.

We've had this happen several times. Originally we were fixing them by reinstalling but the second (or third?) time it happened I discovered that we could use the "Reset Customized Settings" option from the "Customize System" menu on the console to fix the networking configuration. Your problem may be different than ours, but this fix may work and it could be a bit quicker and less risky than a full reinstall.

We're not using ESXi 3.5 on HP Servers, all Suns. Not the embedded version either, ESXi 3.5 installable on real disks.

0 Kudos