VMware Cloud Community
aleceiffel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMFS block size durring install?

I've installed ESXi 3.5 u4 on a server with a 900GB RAID array. The problem is that the ESXi install automaticaly consumes the entire disk with a VMFS datastore that has a block size of 1MB. This prevents me from creating virtual disks large than 256GB on the datastore. I need to create one large 600GB virtual disk but can't. How do I get around this limitation?

Is there a way to change the block size to 4MB durring the install? Or is there a way to limit the install to using only a 20GB volume leaving the remaining space for a new 600MB VMFS volume that I can create through the console without issue? Is there a boot disk utility that I can use to create the small partition that the ESXi installer will recognize?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Assuming you haven't added any VM's you can delete the datastore and recreate it using your chosen block size.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Assuming you haven't added any VM's you can delete the datastore and recreate it using your chosen block size.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
mehul96
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There is also no way to change the block size after you set it without deleting the datastore and re-creating it, which will wipe out any data on the datastore. but yes, you can select an appropriate block size when creating a data store

Also, it is possible to choose vmfs partition size during installation (choose recommended partition scheme but then edit as necessary)

0 Kudos
aleceiffel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow, simple enough. For some reason I thought the default datastor had important hidden files that you could not delete.

0 Kudos