VMware Cloud Community
MRVMAN1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM shortcuts in ESXi

Is there a way to create a desktop shortcut for virtual machines running on ESXi servers? What I'm looking for is having a shortcut similar to one in VMware Server 2.0.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

there are multiple ways... For windows boxes, use RDP, for linux SSH or the VIC.

...and in your example, if you have access to your environment from home. Once you get connected to your environment, point your web browser to the IP or FQDN of your ESX(i) host and download the VIC from there.

hope this helps.

Message was edited by: Troy Clavell: cleaned up inaccurate information.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

use the VIC to connect directly to the host and manage your VM's that way.

0 Kudos
MRVMAN1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK so when i'm not at my workstation where i have the VMIC installed IE; loging in from home if need be how should I access the VMIC or the vitural client?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

there are multiple ways... For windows boxes, use RDP, for linux SSH or the VIC.

...and in your example, if you have access to your environment from home. Once you get connected to your environment, point your web browser to the IP or FQDN of your ESX(i) host and download the VIC from there.

hope this helps.

Message was edited by: Troy Clavell: cleaned up inaccurate information.

0 Kudos
MRVMAN1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi doesn't have the /ui portion that ESX has.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

oops... good catch Dave. Sorry for that.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I obviously need more experience with ESXi. So the only way to manage VM's is through the VIC, correct?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I only have a couple of ESX hosts that I deal with anymore so I'm starting to forget ESX specific stuff already. Smiley Happy

It would have to be the VI client, but as you suggest RDP or other would be the best way.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

thanks!! I'll clean up my inaccurate answers so other don't get as confused a I often am :smileygrin:

0 Kudos