VMware Cloud Community
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM Workstations XP on ESXi server out to client Boxes

In a training video they were saying how you can put 10 XP workstations on you ESXi server, However they didn't go into how you can access them from your office environment user's PC etc. I know you can remote desktop if your box has an OS on it already which seems to defeat the purpose. Is there some type of setup where it acts like a zen server or citrix where it pushes the vm workstation (XP OS) out to a pxe client boot or something??

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What ther are talking about is VDI - VMware Virtual Desktop Intitiative - for more information check out - basically what you needs is some sort of connection broker - VMware's is the VMware Desktop Manager (VDM). VDM allows you to connect tot he virtualized desktops -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What ther are talking about is VDI - VMware Virtual Desktop Intitiative - for more information check out - basically what you needs is some sort of connection broker - VMware's is the VMware Desktop Manager (VDM). VDM allows you to connect tot he virtualized desktops -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

weinstein5, have you used this? Does this thin client install on a bare bones PC where it works through PXE boot or something? I will check out the evaluation copy. Just curious if you worked with it and how it worked out for you?

Thanks again for all of your help. Do I give you points for this by hitting the correct answer button?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We have installed for clients and it works well with thin clients - you can also use the thin clients like form Wyse and HP -

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

what you are saying is I can't just use any old desktop to interact with VDI and talk to the VM workstation?

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you recommend the best how to on setting this up. Do they have a webx video on this product VDI?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Weinstein5,

See the attached please. I take it that I need all 3 of these products to make this work? Did you install the server app on a 2003 vm server or on a physical server? What do you suggest?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sorry I was not clear - you can use any old workstation to access your VDI environment by installing a 'thick client' but it will still require an operating system installed - or you could use a thin client from Wyse, HP etc. - in terms of the VDM we have done both virtualized as a machine part of my VI-3 environment - I prefer virtualizing the VDM because then we can take advantage of HA and DRS -

For an overview check here -

Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You dont really require a computer system, there are desktop or wall mounted thin client ahhh ill call them boxes that will allow rdp to the VM and also are fairly cheap like 250 to 300 bucks each. I shall try to find the link to them and post here. Well anyway gogle thin client and you will find lots of solutions..

vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was thinking it would be cool if it worked like Zen or a DRBL server where it pushes the OS through pxe booting machines.

I guess I can always install a zen server and run it?? VDI that is.

Thanks for your help as well.

0 Kudos