VMware Cloud Community
mike360x1
Contributor
Contributor

VM ESXI 3i (3.5) Graphics Support ?

Hey, I was trying to deploy a windows virtual machine on my home server. And after I did, I found out that the response from the server was very choppy and laggy. The mouse Cursor was all over the place (The movement wasn't smooth, the mouse cursor was jumping all over the place). So I thought It was possibily an graphics Issue. Since my network was pretty quick. under 1 ms of delay. So is there anyway I can fix this? Would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

You are not telling us how you connect to the virtual machine.

Guessing from your story however it would seem to me that you are just opening a console from the VMware Infrastructure Client.

If that's the case then my next guess is that you haven't installed VMware Tools yet into your guest OS. If you have then you might want to consider a reinstall of VMware Tools.

VMware tools will install VMware virtual hardware drivers for -among others- your graphics adapter, your mouse and your keyboard.

Having those installed and properly working should solve any choppiness in regards with using the virtual machine from within the console.

You are however encouraged to use an industry standard way to connect to your guest OS. For example, Remote Desktop is what most people down here will use to connect to their virtual machines. The reason for that is that it will perform better and that it will not put extra strain on your management interface.

The background here is that the hypervisor and management of it is handled by one CPU core. By putting more load on that one core, your other VM's and the management will suffer. If you use RDP then it is handled as "just another core" in a guest OS. Thereby not putting any extra strain on the CPU reserved for managing your VM's.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
mike360x1
Contributor
Contributor

Well what you say is true, however, once I have installed VmWare tools, (on an win XP machine) The cursor does not snap into the machine, instead it transitions from the client to "it" (the Infrastructure client) back and forth rather than just allowing the cursor to snap into the client window. My guess is that they do that to fix that problem, Its not the result I want. I'm looking for a way to change it back to allow snapping into the host.

Hope this can clarify things.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Not sure I understand what you are saying.

If I am understanding it correctly, then installing VMware Tools helped the quirkiness of the mouse, but you do not like the new default behavior where the mouse automatically transitions from guest to host when in windowed mode?

If so, then you might try to add the following setting to your guest's .vmx file (shut down guest before making the change)

pref.motionUngrab = "false"

Note that this is a setting normally for VMware Workstation and I don't know if it has made the transfer to ESXi 3.5. but chances are it did.

For a more detailed explanation on these settings see: http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/pref-2-vmx.html

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos