VMware Cloud Community
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VI Client 2.5 - changing user password

How can I let a user accessing a WMware ESXi 3.5 server thru VMware Infrastructure Client 2.5 change his/her password?

- What privilege shoud I give to the user?

- What option should the user use to change his/her password?

Regards

Marius

0 Kudos
9 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Are you relying on AD for authentication to your VC server? If you are then they would just change the passwor the way normally would change their password - if they are using an account local to the vc server machine then they will need to connect to the local machine and change it there - ther eis no way to change the account password through the VI Client -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"if they are using an account local to the vc server machine then they will need to connect to the local machine and change it there":

Do yoo nean they should logon to the server via physical console?

Regards

Mario

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Either via physical console or through RDP -

marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How can I connect to the console using RDP?

Do you mean connecting to the ESXi server itself?

Regards

Marius

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I think what weinstein5 meant was if they are using a local account on the virtual center box then they would have to rdp into that server to change the password.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

That is what I meant

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 10, 2010, at 1:08 PM, mittim12 <communities-emailer@vmware.com

0 Kudos
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks to everybody for the answers.

I apoligize, I still don't understand...

Let me describe my environment:

- I installed a VMware ESXi server 3.5

- I created several user accounts on the ESXi server with different rights over different VMs

- Users connect to the ESXi server using the VMware Infrastructure Client they downloaded from the ESXi server itselt in order to manage the VMs they need to use (start, stop, and so on) according to the rights I provided

Now the question is: how can User1 change the password I assigned to him/her while creating the user?

- I looked at the VMware Infrastructure Client interface but I was unable to locate a function to change the password.

- I attempted to connect directly to the ESXi server via RDP but I was unable to connect.

How can I allow users change their password?

Should I install/use any other inferface?

Thank you again

Marius

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think you can allow them to change their passwords directly on the ESXI host without giving them access to the Users and Groups portion of the box.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
Sergio777201110
Contributor
Contributor

Hi folks.

I Need to know, if is possible to grant privileges to a Group for change Others Users Passwords?

The Situation is, I Have a Service Desk Group in my vSphere Environment, and I wnat them to change (reset) others users password.

What privileges should I check to grant them this role (in ESX server)?

Regards All

Sergio Sa

0 Kudos