VMware Cloud Community
znet98
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCB Creating quiesced snapshot failed b/c pre-freeze script in vm exited with non-zero return code

IBM blade HS21 vm host ESXi3.5 U4

VCB version 1.5 build 102898

Legato networker 7.4.4

VM is a rhel5.2, P2V. VMWare_Tools installed.

accordign to "Virtual Machine backup guide" and "Integrating Legato with VCB", installed and configured config.js.

Run this command in vcb proxy server has no problem.

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework>vcbmounter -h <vcb server IP> -u vcbuser -p password -a ipaddr:<vm ip add> -r D:\mnt\test -t full vm -m nbd -Q 0

if runs without "-Q", it fails:

"Creating quiesced snapshot failed because the (user-supplied) custom pre-freeze script in the virtual machine exited with a non-zero return code"

I have login the VM:/usr/sbin, could not find pre-freeze script there

Any idea?

thanks

Michael

0 Kudos
12 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Try tu uninstall vmtools, and install it new once again.

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
znet98
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just did. Same error comes out.

Thanks for your quickly reply....

0 Kudos
AtzeDeVries
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you could try and create a backupScripts.d directory (check the vcb manual for details) and use a dummyscript (which does nothing).

0 Kudos
znet98
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

searched other forum, (http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/125-red-hat-enterprise-5-vmware-tools) created a vm:/usr/sbin/pre-freeze-script, and chmod 755 (since vm is a liux).

Still same error.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AtzeDeVries
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

maybe you should try a more complete pre script, which at least does return does something (like ls) which can return a errorlevel 0.

Did you update your esxhost(s). When you upgrade you a esx host, vmtools also get upgraded on you esx. After an esx upgrade you can upgrade/reinstall vmtools on the guests.

0 Kudos
znet98
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Think I got this resolved after I talked to vmware TSE(before our contract expires)

Solution: Add one new line in config.js

NO_QUIESCE=""

Error may still show on command line, but from Legato backup, that went through.

0 Kudos
znet98
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone to get me back with different tries. This is a bug for Linux VM backup via vcb, b/c linux doesnt have sync driver to freeze the IO for snapshot. Believe it easier in windows vm.

0 Kudos
SuperSpike
Contributor
Contributor

You mentioned that this is a bug. Did VMware tell you that? Did they provide a bug ID or SR number for the bug? I am experiencing this exact same issue.

@Virtual_EZ
0 Kudos
znet98
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The TSE told me it is a bug, I didn't ask the budID or SR# since dont care.

Even this resolved, learning from them is this method(VCB) can not do file level back/restoration on Linux.

In our real work we have to use traditional way, and VCB is in our consideration of DR plan.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

As most people set up LVM you can't do a the equivalent of VSS but LVM is capable of doing snapshots. You need to add space to the volume to do it.

There is another tool that will allow snapshots similar to the way VSS does. http://www.r1soft.com/tools/linux-hot-copy/

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
SuperSpike
Contributor
Contributor

We upgraded our NetBackup infrastructure to 6.5.4 over the weekend and this issue disappeared. Could have been a bug in 6.5.3.1. Hope this helps someone else.

@Virtual_EZ
0 Kudos
znet98
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just saw new networker 7.5 released, no plan to upgrade to that yet, since we just upgraded from 7.2 to 7.4.4, hope they have something to fix.

But most likely, the bug from vmware side.

0 Kudos