VMware Cloud Community
BasJ
Contributor
Contributor

User permissions on VM

Hi,

i have recently setup a ESXi server with a couple of hosts. I want to give someone acces to start/stop his server. This i can do by making a role and adding the proper permissions. This works as designed, but i want more Smiley Happy

I want the user to choose a file from the datastore, so i added the permission browse datastore. But the user is unable to browse the datastore? Also I want to user to give him rights to make a virtual appliance from his machine through vmware converter. But he can't see any of his machines where he has got permissions to.

Where can i find a listing to select the proper permissions to a user? I can't and won't give him complete admin rights. I have attached a screenshot to let you see wich rights i have enabled.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure you're applying the permissions at the proper level. For example, the permissions to browse the datastore must be applied at the host or datacenter level. If you apply these permissions at a resource pool or VM level, they have no effect on what the user can or cannot do. This is a little tricky in ESX(i) - I still haven't figured out how to delegate permissions exactly the way I want to that allows users to create VMs in a certain resource pool but not see other VMs, etc. It's a little tricky...

BasJ
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, i understand i need to set certain permissions on the host level, and then on the VM.

But is there some more documentation i can find about this topic? I still can't get it to work that users have full rights on a proper level.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

This might give you a hand - http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_vc_roles.pdf. It's written for VirtualCenter, but most of the permissions are the same for stand alone hosts.

0 Kudos