VMware Cloud Community
bradhs123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrading DL380 G5 to ESXi - Use HP's ESXi image or VMware's ESXi image?

Hello,

I am working on upgrading our DL380 G5 to ESXi. It is compatible with ESXi. I downloaded the trial version of ESXi from vmware.com. But, I'm a little concerned because there have been many comments about having to install HP's version of ESXi to get the management CIM's. There has also been talk about ESXi 3.5 U1 having the right CIM's. If I should be testing the HP image of ESXi, where do I get the trial iso? If it really doesnt matter which one I use and they have the same management functionality then I'm just going to use the vmware trial to get started this weekend. Or maybe it's easy to add the HP CIM's later?

Also, since my sevrver has an internal USB slot, I want to stick the iso on a USB drive. I found instructions on how to do that on the forums but it doesn't look like its supported. Which leads me to believe I try and get the HP ISO since its designed to go on a USB drive.

Thanks for your help in advance...

Bradley

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can download the patches from here - http://support.vmware.com/selfsupport/download/#wlp_s3portal_pages_downloadPatch_page - just select ESX Server 3i as the product. When you patch the firmware, you only have to install the latest patch as it contains everything you need for the firmware.

To patch without VirtualCenter - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Patch_3i_without_VC.html

0 Kudos
bradhs123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone! I was able to upgrade the USB drive with no issues. Right now I am using Converter to convert the disks but its take a very long time. Not sure why, only one VM is complete so far. Is there a way to make Converter work faster? It doesnt seem to take up that much processing to convert these disks and the files are not that large.. (about 40gb each)

0 Kudos
bradhs123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A followup to the slowness of Converter. It so happens that even though the server I am on supports USB 2.0 it is only operating at USB 1.1. It's an older PowerEdge 2650 but I was told it supports USB 2.0. Not sure why it it falling back to USB 1.1 in Windows Server 2003. Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos