VMware Cloud Community
bradhs123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrading DL380 G5 to ESXi - Use HP's ESXi image or VMware's ESXi image?

Hello,

I am working on upgrading our DL380 G5 to ESXi. It is compatible with ESXi. I downloaded the trial version of ESXi from vmware.com. But, I'm a little concerned because there have been many comments about having to install HP's version of ESXi to get the management CIM's. There has also been talk about ESXi 3.5 U1 having the right CIM's. If I should be testing the HP image of ESXi, where do I get the trial iso? If it really doesnt matter which one I use and they have the same management functionality then I'm just going to use the vmware trial to get started this weekend. Or maybe it's easy to add the HP CIM's later?

Also, since my sevrver has an internal USB slot, I want to stick the iso on a USB drive. I found instructions on how to do that on the forums but it doesn't look like its supported. Which leads me to believe I try and get the HP ISO since its designed to go on a USB drive.

Thanks for your help in advance...

Bradley

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you mean this page - http://www.vmware.com/download/vi/ - if so, click on the ESXi 3.5 Installable Update 1 download link, accept the EULA and you should then see the 2 versions for download.

ESXi Installable is meant to be installed onto a hard drive. You can get it to run on a USB drive, but that wouldn't be supported. If you want to run from a USB drive, then you should get ESXi Embedded and that you would want to get from HP directly. ESXi Installable and Embedded are virtually identical (just a few bits of difference in the code and no differences in functionality).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I'm not sure if there's a specific HP iso of ESXi, I believe what they meant was if you decided to purchase an HP Server and you wanted to have ESXi embedded in the flash memory, that the only way to monitor the hardware for faults would be directly built into the hardware vs installing HP SIM Agent on the service console of the ESX Server. With the embedded ESXi, it uses CIM interface to collect this data and pass that to either your monitoring systems or HP SIM Server. Although if you decided to use the ESXi installer via USB or hardisk installation, I'm wondering if that is the same, it still uses CIM interface which is enabled in ESXi for you to collect the information. So I think in reality if you've purchased a server that is capable of ESXi, you'll probably end up going the installable route since it was not purchased with it embed. Usually the decision is made to use ESXi vs ESX 3.5, as the latter still has a full blown SC for any 3rd party vendor utilities that you might use or scripts that were written specifically to build your host.

Hopefully this helps and if has more information feel free to correct me, but I believe that you can still monitor your host whether it's ESXi (installer or emebed) through the CIM api.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

If you look at the very bottom of this thread, you get a similiar explanation, basically the embedded release has a better intergration unit than the plain ESXi installer, again each hardware vendor can provide either integrated/embedded solution or you can use the installer if the hardware supports it, though it's not really a HP iso or specific, it's just something they've wrapped up in their hardware, I assume you probably meant that.

amirs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Bradley,

You can download and ISO image with HP CIM from vmware.com. To get the bits, follow the ESXi Installable download path. You will have to sign in and accept the EULA. After accepting the EULA, you will have the option of chosing the VMware base image or the HP image.

You are correct about DL580G5 having an internal USB port, but as you mentioned, the embedded hypervisor is not supported unless bought directly from a server vendor like HP. The installabe version is supported, but it requires you to install on the internal drive.

bradhs123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've tried to download the HP image but it doesnt show or, nor a link to it. Maybe because I am trying to download the Evaluation version? I dont want to make the purchase until I have proven that the solution works. How do I get a HP USB drive with ESXi preinstalled with the correct software to monitor the hardware? I want to be able to monitor the hardware in the same fashion as running System Manager on Windows Server.

Thanks,

Bradley

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Take a look at this thread - http://communities.vmware.com/message/976939#976939

On the ESXi download page are you seeing 2 ESXi downloads (i.e. one for HP). The eval download is the same as the full version, it's only the license file that determines if you have an eval or permanent install.

VMware ESX Server 3i Installable

Latest Released Version: 3.5 Update 1 | 04/10/08 | 82664 | 216 MB

ESX Server 3i U1 Installable ISO image

(md5sum:7b6b502a3a4e212ff97e3a9b55a30e55)

ESX Server 3i Installable with HP Insight Management providers

Image for ESX Server 3i installation that includes HP Insight Manager providers. This image is for customers with an existing license entitlement to download ESX Server 3i for use on supported HP ProLiant server platforms. For use with HP Systems Insight Manager and other HP management tools. Download to hard drives only. ISO image

(md5sum

0 Kudos
bradhs123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Dave,

I am on the "VMware Infrastructure 3 Product Evaluation Download" page and I dont see the HP version. I think the page you are referring to is only for a user logged on and has purchased the software. I havent made the purchase yet. The discussion you are referring to (http://communities.vmware.com/message/976939#976939) talks about purchasing a USB drive from HP with the image. Does that mean I have to talk to my vendor and that I cannot make use own USB drive?

Thanks,

Bradley

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you mean this page - http://www.vmware.com/download/vi/ - if so, click on the ESXi 3.5 Installable Update 1 download link, accept the EULA and you should then see the 2 versions for download.

ESXi Installable is meant to be installed onto a hard drive. You can get it to run on a USB drive, but that wouldn't be supported. If you want to run from a USB drive, then you should get ESXi Embedded and that you would want to get from HP directly. ESXi Installable and Embedded are virtually identical (just a few bits of difference in the code and no differences in functionality).

0 Kudos
bradhs123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Dave for your quick (isn't it almost midnight?) reply. Smiley Happy If I did the installable version today and then later on bought the USB drive and started booting from it would that be okay? The reason I ask is one day I am going to want to move off the local disks to a SAN and I will need to go embedded or I will be stuck with having to RAID a few drives for ESXi installable.

0 Kudos
amirs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can use different versions of ESXi with the same VMs. In other words, using ESXi Installable does not preclude you from using ESXi Embedded in the future. Based on your comments, your migration will look something like this:

1. Migrate VMs to SAN

2. Set BIOS preference for USB boot

3. Remove drives

4. Configure new ESXi with exisiting license key/VMFS location - or - restore previous config file onto the embedded image

I hope this is helpful.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's getting to that time :). amirs post covers it pretty much. You'll be move the VMs around pretty easily so wanting to switch down the road won't be an issue.

0 Kudos
bradhs123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it possible to still get the HP agents installed since apparently it is not possible to order HP ESXi's image for an existing server, only new server orders. I still dont see the HP image on vmware.com's web site.

0 Kudos
amirs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please try the following steps and tell me where the failure happens:

1. go to vmware.com

2. click on "downloads" on the upper right hand of the browser

3. click on "download" next to VI Instrucuture 3

4. click on "donwload now" under VMware ESXi 3.5 Installable Update 1

5. log in or create an account

6. accept the EULA by clicking on "yes" at the bottom of the page

7. click on "ISO image" next to ESX Server 3i Installable with HP Insight Management providers

8. download the file and off you go

0 Kudos
bradhs123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It looks like it is impossible to get HP's version of ESXi on a USB stick unless you buy it with a new HP computer which means no USB for me. Any ideas on how to get around that? I really want to use the USB drive inside with the proper HP agents. Or is there a way to install those HP agents later?

My remaining question ..How do I get ESXi with the HP agents on a USB stick? I dont care that much about the USB part, I just want to be able to manage my server at the same level as I have now in Server 2003. Maybe there is a way to get the HP agents with the standard install of ESXi? (I still dont see the HP version download, see below.)

Here is what the download page looks like.. I copied it from the web page. Nothing on there for HP and also, isnt this just the upgrade?

To use this product, you will need to redeem your license activation codes that you should have received by email during your purchase of VMware Infrastructure 3. For questions about license redemption and activation, please email vi-hotline or view the License Redemption Overview.

Latest Released Version: 3.5 Update 1 | 04/10/08 | 82663 | 561 MB

ESX Server 3.5 Update 1 CD image

Boot your server with this CD in order to install ESX Server 3.5 Update 1. ISO image

(md5sum:7b30e780044302ac893bc25d03e48959)

Upgrade package from ESX Server 2.x to ESX Server 3.5 Update 1

This package provides expert users with remote, headless upgrade capability from ESX Server 2.x to ESX Server 3.5 Update 1. Most normal upgrades can be accomplished using the standard CD image. Binary (.tar.gz)

(md5sum:4a5f8ad4664c48c8534bbaeff55055d5)

Upgrade package from ESX Server 3.5 to ESX Server 3.5 Update 1

This package provides expert users with remote, headless upgrade capability from ESX Server 3.5 to ESX Server 3.5 Update 1. This package requires the esxupdate utility. Most normal upgrades can be accomplished using the standard CD image. Zip

(md5sum:581005a1137c5e618586bd05892a21bd)

Click here for information about using MD5 checksums.

Thanks,

Bradley

0 Kudos
amirs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It looks like you are going to the ESX and not the ESXi page. Note the following:

ESX Server 3.5 Update 1 CD image

Boot your server with this CD in order to install ESX Server 3.5 Update 1. ISO image

Please download VMware _ESXi _3.5 Installable Update 1

0 Kudos
bradhs123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow, I cant believe I kept missing that and clicking ESX. Yes! Now I see it! Thank you! (and Dave!) You both have been incredibly helpful. Now I just have to figure out when I am going to do the conversion.

Last question.. According to the website it states:

ESX Server 3i Installable with HP Insight Management providers

Image for ESX Server 3i installation that includes HP Insight Manager providers. This image is for customers with an existing license entitlement to download ESX Server 3i for use on supported HP ProLiant server platforms. For use with HP Systems Insight Manager and other HP management tools. Download to hard drives only.

Does that mean I have to buy a license because it says "existing license entitlement" or can I still use it in eval mode for 60 days? What is my expectionation when I get it installed on the test server? Do I need to download or enter a trial key or will it just work for 60 days and then require a license key after?

Thanks,

Bradley

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can still download it and use it for 60 days. The 60 days eval mode is the default install choice and you can then change to a permanent license without any changes.

Today was a bit of a mess - how tomorrow afternoon look for you?

0 Kudos
bradhs123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Dave.. Tomorrow is great. Today was also crazy for me.. Let's see, hard drive crashes (RAID 5, so not that big of a deal).. Router goes out, had to replace it .. Then 7pm, another router goes out! had to also replace it.. That was nuts.

0 Kudos
Kevin_Gao
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Actually you can buy the embedded USB version easily from HP directly or through resellers. I bought mine from a local reseller and I just stuck it into my DL385G2 and it's been working well for 1+ month now.

Try the HP part number 465388-B21.

Cheers

0 Kudos
bradhs123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Kevin,

I finally received my USB drive from HP with the ESXi image. How did you update yours to the latest version of ESXi? Where did you get the updates files from?

Thanks,

Bradley

0 Kudos