VMware Cloud Community
Webio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrade ESXi to version with Dell managements components

Hello,

how can I upgrade "normal" version of ESXi to Dell managements components edition? Should I burn CD with ESXi Dell iso and update from CD installer?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The install CDs will only do a new install or repair (repair would wipe your current config but preserve VMFS partitions). With your case you would want to

1) Download the latest ESXi patch from here - http://download3.vmware.com/software/vi/ESXe350-200904401-O-SG.zip

2) Extract the ZIP and you'll find 3 ZIP file. Extract the one that ends with -I-BG-zip (it'll be about 44 MB in size).

3) Within that ZIP you'll find VMware-OEM-image.tar.gz - extract Dell.tgz from it.

4) Copy that over /bootbank/oem.tgz and reboot your host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The install CDs will only do a new install or repair (repair would wipe your current config but preserve VMFS partitions). With your case you would want to

1) Download the latest ESXi patch from here - http://download3.vmware.com/software/vi/ESXe350-200904401-O-SG.zip

2) Extract the ZIP and you'll find 3 ZIP file. Extract the one that ends with -I-BG-zip (it'll be about 44 MB in size).

3) Within that ZIP you'll find VMware-OEM-image.tar.gz - extract Dell.tgz from it.

4) Copy that over /bootbank/oem.tgz and reboot your host.

0 Kudos
Webio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just to make sure: I should rename extracted Dell.tgz to oem.tgz and copy it to /bootbank correct?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes - the file dell.tgz has to be renamed to oem.tgz when you copy it to /bootbank.

0 Kudos
Webio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One more thing: I should have installed latest patch on my ESXi server before I install/copy this Dell oem.tgz file?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes. If you were at update 4 for example and didn't want to upgrade, then you could download the update 4 zip file and extract the same file out.

Webio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Right now I have latest ESXi build updated using Windows update service.

0 Kudos
Webio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do you know where I can find documentation where ESXi Dell magagement component is described (how to configure it?) ?

EDIT: Ok I've found what I needed here:

0 Kudos