VMware Cloud Community
zizebra
Contributor
Contributor

Unexpected Shutdown on Virtual Server

We have a few hundreds of virtual servers working fine except for 3 virtual servers that have been giving us headaches. These servers are have been rebooting unexpectedly. and there is nothing in the event logs to suggest why they would have restarted. The last unexpected shutdown happened a few minutes ago. A closer look on the affected servers suggest that they typical fail randomly every two - three months. I can say basically these problems started way back in 2007 and have survived the upgrades that we did in this time for vmware. The long periods between the failures has made it fairly difficult to keep an eye them.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
pauljrb
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Might be worth checking / posting the VMkernel log on the ESX box around the time of the unexpected reboot, it's located in /var/logs

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I would also speak to your SAN Team. Unexpected reboots of VM's can also be caused by the inability for the VM to locate it's disk files.

0 Kudos
zizebra
Contributor
Contributor

There must be some way of determining your suggestion. But so far Iam just trying to check anything that can checked. I have checked the logs but did not find any thing pointing in any direction. I am still checking logs all vmware servers. I would have expected at least other servers to have been affected, if disks could not be located. But anyway it does does hurt to check. I will report back soon

0 Kudos