VMware Cloud Community
MarcosFJ
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install Patch

Hello all.

First I'm very happy with VMWare ESXi 3.5 update4, now my motherboard (Intel DP35DP) SATA controller and NIC are recognized.

I run the VMWare Infrastructure Update tool, they show up to me 2 patchs, one for Firmware and another for Tools.

The Firmware update was applied fine.

But the Tools update is unable to install, the process stop at '14%' with the message: 'Failed to Install Tools update: Unable to copy install files to host'

Is this because the write protection imposed by free flavour of ESXi?

How can I perform the Tool update?

0 Kudos
26 Replies
pmatthaei
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm I just get with --dir /tmp:

>> Listing of /tmp is not supported.

0 Kudos
MarcosFJ
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dave.

I'll perform the repair on next week because this week I have others things to do and I don't have acess do server room on mornings.

But I think perform a repair or enable SSH is not recommended to pmatthaei as they are in production and VMware do not support SSH officially. (In other hand, I can use any trick, the server is for application environments tests for me, academic, no profit)

Explaining the "no disk space" on my logs and pmatthaei laogs, I assecure, I have too plent space avaible. It is a QuadCore machine with 4Gb of RAM and 500Gb HardDisk, I have only 4 machines running on it with 12Gb of vHD each. Unfortunatly I cant remember the forum to link here, but I read the write (and not only write, some read and list) operations on free ESXi are blocked since uptade 4 and some scripts or commands interprets and returns as if no space avaible or disk full.

0 Kudos
pmatthaei
Contributor
Contributor

I think missing rw access can not be the problem, because we also updated two U4 servers to the current revision without any problems..

0 Kudos
MarcosFJ
Contributor
Contributor

These U4 are fresh install or updated from U3? Some people with no problems with read, write and list have update from U3 (other used SSH to update or hacked by hand some scripts to force write like the trick way of use a Linux boot CD to mount the ESXi partitions and write the patch on there. Definitly not usable for production).

0 Kudos
pmatthaei
Contributor
Contributor

AFAIK it is mixed, one working and one not working is running since U3 and another working and not working was a fresh U4 installation.

0 Kudos
biokovo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a very similar problem.

I have a three esx3i 3.5 servers, and when I try to install any update (on any way) after 13% it's say I can not copy install file on host.

Has anybody known what is a problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos
pmatthaei
Contributor
Contributor

I solved it this way:

- Disabling autostart of servers

- Put the host in maintenance mode

-Restart the whole host

After this I were able to update the hosts.

0 Kudos