VMware Cloud Community
Stracca
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install ESXi 3.5 U3 on IBM xSeries 225

Hi all.

In our datacenter we had two host with the old version of esx 2.5.3, so we want to plan the change to ESXi.

I found al old Server IBM xSeries 225 with 2 x Intel Xeon 2.4, 2Gb RAM, 2 x NIC and 5 HDD on boardto be used as a test machine of ESXi.

I tryed to install the latest versione of ESXi 3.5 U3 also if it's not on the HW Compatibility guide but the installation freezes when it says: "Starting VMware ESXi Server:"

I've read on the forum that a lot of people succesfully installed ESXi on this type of hw.

How i can found what's the problem?

Thanks a lot

Stefano

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to the VMware ESXi forum.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. If you haven't done so, make sure you're running the latest BIOS / firmware versions. When it stops in the install can you press ALTf1 or ALTf12 and see if any errors are recorded?

0 Kudos
rohieb
Contributor
Contributor

Hello! I am having the same problem on my machine, but I am not able to see any error messages by pressing Alt-F1 or Alt-F12. In fact, even Numlock doesn't change, and Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work also.

0 Kudos
GUYBRUSHTHREEPW
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Stracca. Could you solve your problem? I need to install ESXi 3.5 onto IBM eServer xSeries 225 too, but, it's a production server.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Stracca
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

I didn't solve my problem so i had to go on an other system.

Later i found that this system (the xSeries 225) had hardware problems so i can't say that this system is or isn't good for esxi!

Sorry

Stracca

0 Kudos