VMware Cloud Community
klamm
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to find a supported device...

Hello

unfortunately I get the server not installed on my Compaq 500b MT. There is a 1 TB SATA disk installed.

Can someone help me please.

Thanks and regards

0 Kudos
5 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Klamm,

I'm pretty sure you won't find this model in the compatibility guides... The biggest problem for you will certainly be the disk controller. Try to find the model you have in your machine and look for it in the guides.

If it is not supported, it will be difficult to have ESXi running...

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The use of a search engine (google, bing and others) and also the use of the small input fields with the looking glass on the VMware Websites are strictly encouraged!

Here is what HP writes about your hardware.

And here is Dave's site with very useful informations about unsupported hardware and how it may work with VMware ESX(i).

I am quite sure, that your network card will not be recognized either!

0 Kudos
ericcwilliams
Contributor
Contributor

I used Dave's site to get a Dl150 up and running with ESXI 4, the information he supplies works.

0 Kudos
klamm
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thanks for your answers.

I was looking for the PCI ID (described on this page: http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/find_PCI_ID.php but unfortunately I have not found the ID for my NIC Realtek CLASS 0200: 10ec: 8136th

What can I do now, yet?

0 Kudos
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Cheap and absolutely no warranty = tweak oem.tgz

For the experienced linux-user/hacker = upgrade to vSphere 4 / ESXi 4 and build your own driver

The easy and supported way, buy a supported NIC. Ebay and others should trow up some Intel- or HP-based GBit cards at around $100.

I recommand this strongly. You will have less problems running the machine and you may also get more performance.

0 Kudos