Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to add storage in my ESXi server

Currently I'm running a Dell 2950 Server with the following specs:

2 Intel Xeon Quad Core 3.0GHz X5450

6x 1TB 7200RPM hard drives in RAID5

PERC6i intergrated controller

32GB RAM

Currently I'm having issues getting the ESXi system to recodnize all the space I have. I first tried a single partition and ESXi only saw 554.25GB of space. I repartitioned to a single 554.25GB, and 2 2TB partitions. ESXi saw although the 554 and the two 2TB systems it was only able to set up the 554 and one of the two 2TB partitions, saying that there was no space avaliable on the second 2TB partition. I tried repartioning to the 554.25GB and a single 4TB hard drive. ESXi Sees the 4TB, but states that there is no space avaliable and is unable to read partition. While having this problem, I upgraded the BIOS and the PERC firmware to see if any change, there was none.

Any ideas what I can do to try to solve this? thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome tot he forums - first issue on some of your configurations is ESX/ESXi does not recognize LUNs larger than 2 TB - so as long as you keep the partitions less than 2048 GB you should be able to use them for your ESXi server -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome tot he forums - first issue on some of your configurations is ESX/ESXi does not recognize LUNs larger than 2 TB - so as long as you keep the partitions less than 2048 GB you should be able to use them for your ESXi server -

0 Kudos