VMware Cloud Community
5lbBass
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to access ESXi host to download vi client

Just installed ESXi 3.5 on an HP DL360. After install went and modified root account/password and network configuration via the console. Now I want to install the vi client. I point a browser on my laptop to my ESXi 3.5 hosts and get a login pop-up. I assumed I would use my root account and password, but this doesn't work. How do I get around this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Never saw anything like that.

Please double check the ip address, subnet mask and gateway you configured.

If you are using the ESXi's hostname in the browser, also make sure this resolves to the correct IP address. (nslookup YourHostName)

Does the login popup show the name/IP of the ESXi host.

BTW: What generation of DL360 are you using. In my lab environment I'm running ESXi 4 U1 on a DL360G4 without any issues.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
dickybird
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You may have lockdown mode enabled that restrict access via root login, double check that

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Never saw anything like that.

Please double check the ip address, subnet mask and gateway you configured.

If you are using the ESXi's hostname in the browser, also make sure this resolves to the correct IP address. (nslookup YourHostName)

Does the login popup show the name/IP of the ESXi host.

BTW: What generation of DL360 are you using. In my lab environment I'm running ESXi 4 U1 on a DL360G4 without any issues.

André

0 Kudos
5lbBass
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. I checked it, but it's disabled.

0 Kudos
5lbBass
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I double-checked the ip address, subnet mask, and gateway. All are correct. I'm not resolving by hostname so this shouldn't be an issue. The popup doesn't show the ip address the first time, but on failure it show's it the second time. I'm not sure what you mean by generation of DL360. . . Could you further clarify.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

HP's actual DL360 server is generation 6 (G6), VMware officially supports ESXi 4 for the DL360 since generation 5 (G5).

The DL360 G4 is not officially supported for ESXi4, however for lab or test environments it works (for 32bit guests only)

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

After configuring the network at the console of your ESXi server, please select "Restart Management Network" and then "Test Management Network". Does this work ok?

Can you ping the ESXi server from your client?

André

0 Kudos
5lbBass
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, I spoke too soon. There was an issue with the gateway. I thought I was using the appropriate value, but when I looked into my lab's network I realized I was using the wrong gateway. Thanks for assistance.

0 Kudos
5lbBass
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I tell what generation I'm running?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It's on the servers chassis (a small G2, G3, G4, G5 or G6) and also on the serial number sticker.

For DL360 G4 it's usually a small G4 on the left side

For the DL360G5, on the right side - http://h50146.www5.hp.com/info/newsroom/library/images/fy2006/fy06-136_dl360-g5.jpg

Could also be named DL360 R05 instead og G5 if it's a renew model.

André

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

...I'm not sure what you mean by generation of DL360. . . Could you further clarify.

HP servers have a "G" number to indicate the generation. For example, the attached picture shows my DL385 is a Generation 2. Most of the current servers are G6. If you have a really old HP server that doesn't have a G number, then it's "Generation 1".

The ESXi page should look like the other screen shot attached. It does not have a login prompt. (Just the usual certificate warning.)

Just to cover all bases, do you have more than one ethernet wire attached to your DL380? Can you connect only one? Specifically, I'm wondering if you're connecting to the HP iLO web server, which is bullt-in to many HP servers. That doesn't sound likely if you're using the IP addr from the ESX console screen, (which should be the black and yellow one, which should look like page 10 from the Getting Started Guide. If you're willing, post a screen shot from a digital camera of your ESX host's console just to lay that issue to rest.) But I can't think of anything else that would have a login prompt.

(Edit: I posted a few min to late. Glad to hear you got it solved.)

0 Kudos