VMware Cloud Community
Totohydra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ubuntu Server networking down

I recently moved (using Converter) my Ubuntu Server 6.06 from VMware Server howver I cannot get it to pick up an IP address.

In Server we had the option to NIC via bridged, NAT, or not at all. Are these options available in ESXi?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Check the network card configuration and make sure that it is configured for a valid network in ESXi. ESXi does not have the same "bridged", "nat", and "host-only" network options that VMware Server has, so you'll need to configure networking on ESXi. By default it creates two networks: a management network (for accessing the console) and a VM network, which is very similar to the bridged network in VMware Server. Edit the network card configuration and make sure that it's connecting to the VM network at startup.

0 Kudos
Totohydra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is set for the VM network. If I run ifconfig this is all I get..

..when a Server guest is converted to ESXi it gets a new MAC. Would this shut down the NIC interface?

0 Kudos
Totohydra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Apparently the image integration app does not work. I've attached manually. Basicall it says I've got a loopback address and that's it.

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

What's your networking configuration look like on ESXi? How about the VM configuration for the network card (Tools -> Edit Settings -> Network Card)?

0 Kudos
Totohydra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, as an exiperiment I removed and readded the NIC and that did not help.

I created a new Ubuntu Server guest and the networking works fine on it.

There must have been something during the conversion from WMware Server (Windows version) that breaks the NIC within Ubuntu? The MAC gets changed to something in ESXi's allocation so that may have been perceived as a security break. Sound plausable?

The current networking is the only networking available in the dropdowns (attached)

0 Kudos
jbusch
Contributor
Contributor

I found that the VA "Ubuntu 8.04 Server Minimal Installation - v1.3" gave me a working NIC right away. Maybe you want to look around in its config files. Here's the link:

Just an idea. Good luck.

-jdb

Edit: doh you got a working guest by now. sorry.

0 Kudos
veggiefrog
Contributor
Contributor

You need to edit the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. Remove the lines that contain the eth0, eth1 etc and then reboot. Ubuntu is trying to keep eth0 assigned to the old mac address and is assigning eth1 to your new mac address. You can also check /etc/network/interfaces to see what you have configured there.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

0 Kudos
Totohydra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have just about every other rules file in that dirctory except persistent-net. I'm afraid in my brilliance to "reset" all this I may have blown away networking altogether. Is there a way to reinstall networking, take it form thet top soft of command?

Thanks again....

0 Kudos
veggiefrog
Contributor
Contributor

Have you tried checking dmesg? If I have networking problems, I run dmesg |grep eth0 and see what happened to eth0 on boot up, if anything. What's your output of ifconfig eth0? What about for other eth0-9?

Andrew.

0 Kudos
trentg
Contributor
Contributor

Just delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and reboot. I see this when cloning linux VM's from template.

0 Kudos