VMware Cloud Community
BAM279
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu Guest fails to boot on ESXi 3.5u4

Hi,

I have a problem with an Ubuntu based VM that ive previously used on VMWare Workstation 6.x and VMWare Server 2.x. The problems began when I ran vConverter 4 Standalone on the .vmx file - the converter reported that the VM could not be reconfigured and that it "may fail to boot up". This, is exactly the issue im facing and im not sure if there is a solution. The boot menu loads fine but then hangs on loading the linux kernel. Ive tried tweaking a number of things but in reality its just shooting in the dark as im new to ESXi (although I have 9 other VMs running just beautifully on it at present).

The VM in question is a free tool released by the FreeAuth project (). It is a RADIUS server running on Ubuntu and the image fan be freely downloaded from here under the Links/Download section -

I was wondering if anyone may have come across this sort of issue before and if there were any suggestions as to a workaround? I tried to just run VMWare server inside another VM on ESXi but then realised that it wasnt supported Smiley Sad

Any and all suggestions and tips greatly appreciated!

Kindest regards,

BAM.

0 Kudos
0 Replies