VMware Cloud Community
ANSASERVERS
Contributor
Contributor

URGENT HELP NEEDED!!

Hey Guys,

First off thanks for reading this, I think it has come to the point where i have lost all my hair because i have torn it all out because of this stupid server issue that i have been having.

I am running a Dell Poweredge 2650. For reasons unknown i seemed to have lost the Mac address on one of the on board network controllers. I have checked in the bios and it is saying " Not Programmed " Since the servers are well out of warrenty dell will not help me. But i did manage to get out of them that the mac addresses are hard coded onto the mains board and its quite possibly a faulty mains board that is causing the issue.

But....

Thats not the main thing i need help with, infact its the least of my worries. For the past few months i seem to be having some weird issues with linux vms where they seem to stay running but loose conectivity. When i go to view the console all i get is a blank screen. If i wait long enough (5 - 10 minutes) or longer i get the last displayed screen before it goes blank again.

I can ping the server and it responds but nothing works ( SSH, HTTP, FTP ETC....)

I have tried:

- Re creating the virtual machine

- Giving it 4 vcpu's

- Adjusting the resources

- Storing the config files locally and the hard drive on our NAS server

We can keep 10+ days uptime if all the config files and hard drive are stored on the NAS but if the files ( except hdd ) are stored locally it crashes. I thought it may have been a hard drive issue so i repaced the two 74GB hdds and it still doing it. It hasnt always done this this has only started in the last few months.

The only way to fix it is to reboot the machine and run all the files from the nas. More importantly is seems to crash when their is a heavy load on the server and its only linux machines that are crashing.Windows machines are fine, vmware tools is installed ( not sure of the version ) dont think it is the one that came with esxi 3.5

Is anyone else having this issue?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
soosurfer
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar issue.  What had happened is an old snapshot was removed from the inventory and it caused everything to go hay-wire.  It should have worked with the origional vmdk files, but we had to bring all the old origional snapshots back into the inventory and then it started functioning.  I was using a 2003 vm, not linux.

Hope it gives a little insight.

0 Kudos
ANSASERVERS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

We did have snapshots from time to time but never kept them. I just created a whole new vm and used the old hdd, will let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos