VMware Cloud Community
JohnnyGman
Contributor
Contributor

U3 to U4 Upgrade question

I have 2 VMWare servers running ESXi. The first one is running U3, and the second is running U4. I would like to update the U3 server to match the newer one. I am new to VMWare and was looking at the following instructions...

http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Patch_3i_without_VC.php

Since I don't use VirtualCenter, I figured these would be the way to go. So, using the VMware Infrastructure Update (VIU) client, I checked for updates for both servers.

On the U4 server it lists the following updates...

• Firmware Update 3.5.0 (KB1010135)

• Tools Update 3.5.0 (KB1010136)

On the U3 server, it lists the same updates as above, with the addition of the this one...

• VIClient Update 3.5.0 (KB1007992)

None of these really seem to indicate that they will update the U3 server to U4. Am I missing something? I would appreciate any assistance.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. If you've clicked on the check for updates option, the update client has downloaded the latest patch from here - http://support.vmware.com/selfsupport/download/ (make sure to select ESXi as the download type). So with the U4 host, it will only update the firmware and VMware Tools installs. With the U3 host it will do both and also an update the VI client download.

0 Kudos
JohnnyGman
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the welcome. I kind of figured that is what it would do. My question more revolved around whether or not just installing the listed items will upgrade my one server from U3 to U4. It doesn't seem that way, but I could be wrong. My ultimate goal is to get both servers to U4 and fully patched.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You'll end up with the lastest patch (the 2nd patch since Update 4 was released). If you just want update 4 I would download the patch file manually and use vihostupdate or remoteinstall to patch it.

0 Kudos