VMware Cloud Community
mattyche
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to in stall first virtual machine

Just want a simple W2K3 sever on my newly up and running ESXi server. Went through wizard, trying to install the OS from a DVD. I keep getting the message "operating system not found". Makes me think the VM I created isn't booting from DVD. Checked Bios, it's set to boot from DVD ROM. Checked the VM client settings and it's set to connect to the Host DVD drive. Still no luck. Any help would be great.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Looks to me like your host dvd drive is not recognized. And by host dvd, I mean the dvd on your ESXi server, and not on your client. Are you trying to use the dvd from your client machine?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

....one other thing to check. Make sure the box in the CD/DVD Drive that reads "Connected" is checked.

0 Kudos
mattyche
Contributor
Contributor

The DVD on the host is working, it's how I installed the ESX server so I know it's functioning. I do not know if there could be issues between the Host DVD Rom and the Client OS I'm trying to install.

On the new VM it does say "connected" to the DVD rom. I've tried several combinations to see if I'm doing something wrong but no luck with anything.

I'm creating an ISO of the CD to see if I can boot from that. The only question I have is once the .ISO is created, how do I get it to the ESX server so I can boot from it? The console is a basic interface and the only other thing I see to access the server (which I'm using now) is the VMware Infrastructure Client where I point to that ESX server's IP.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

instead of using the HOST to as the DVD resourse, I would say, just use the "Client Device" option and mount the DVD/.iso from your workstation or a UNC. That may help a bit.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The VI client has a nice GUI datastore browser that will let you copy the iso file to the ESX host from your local machine also.

Just double-click on any of the disks your ESXi host can see, and it will open the datastore browser.

Click the icons to upload, download, copy, and move files around on the ESXi's local disk, SAN LUNs, and NAS resources.

/mark

0 Kudos
mattyche
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to browse to the .iso. I'll check out that other utility too. Still though, I can't install the guest OS using this iso either. Here is what it looks like (see attached). Frustrating.

0 Kudos
mattyche
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to browse to the .iso. I'll check out that other utility too. Still though, I can't install the guest OS using this iso either. Here is what it looks like (see attached). Frustrating.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you're still stuck, send me a screenshot of your VM's virtual CD configuration.

/mark

0 Kudos
thesage
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem as you. After experimenting a while, I got lucky. Try this:

At the point you get the "no operating system found" message, use CTRL-ALT-INSERT (same as CTRL-ALT-DEL) and it should instantly restart and boot from the CD in your client's drive.

I have no idea why it is necessary to do it this way, but it works.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

There are also some VM options that can help with the BIOS screen. If you edit the settings for a VM and select Options tab, you can go to boot option and set ethir a power-on boot delay or force the VM to go into the BIOS setup.

0 Kudos