VMware Cloud Community
Malakym
Contributor
Contributor

To be filled by O.E.M

Greetings,

I've just installed the ESXi 3.5 iso to a USB drive to install on to a machine I've got sitting by. Everything goes well till I get to a screen advising me of a fatal error.

Looking down, all of the model information displays "To be filled by O.E.M" and because of this I am unable to progress any further through the installation.

I've looked a a couple of guides advising of how to change this information and to start that, I need to log in to the console by hitting alt+f1. I've got to that stage and have entered the login, but the system is now asking me for a password that I don't have. Every guide I see suggests I use the root password that I created, but I haven't got to a stage where I've been prompted to create one.

Is there a default password that can be used at this stage to login and change the information or am I stuck?

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello and welcome to the VMware ESXi community forum.

Would you explain more about this screen saying "fatal error"? Color? A modul name, that is shown on that screen.

The default password is just blank (press enter). But I suspect that the boot process has not ended yet and thus you are not able to login.

Did you check your hardware for compatibiltity with ESXi HCL? If not compatible/listed, did you check Dave's site with the list of whiteboxes or parts, that could be used with ESXi?

0 Kudos