VMware Cloud Community
Bhavikpatel
Contributor
Contributor

There is no more space for the redo log of vmdk

Hi

I have found this error on one of my VM ( Datastore size is 106.00 GB and Free is only 98.00 MB after remove log files)

I do not have any other VM running on same datastore and also i do not have any other option to remove other files on same VM .

VM is started but not performing any action and also not connected on network.

Any suggestion appreciated and yes..i am not well-verse with Linux commands and VMWARE.

Thanks

Bhavik Patel

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have you seen this KB article?

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1002103

0 Kudos
Bhavikpatel
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks

I have read this article..

My problem is:

1. I do not have more diskspace on same datastore.

Also, i wanted to move VM once i login in to vm and shutdown the same using CLone.

But, how can i shutdown VM ??

Thanks

Bhavik

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If you can't access the VM in any way, you may not have any option other than a hard shutdown.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Bhavikpatel
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any OS corruption issue by performing Hard shutdown? Its my Live production server

And again if i boot VM again, shutdown will release some space or space will remain same??

what is best option after successful Boot up VM. and how to free again space on same VM?

Thanks

Bhavik

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

If you can't with VIC, then you have to enable console access and use the kill command:

http://virtrix.blogspot.com/2007/09/vmware-stopping-virtual-machine-gone.html

Is there any OS corruption issue by performing Hard shutdown?

It could be... the same to do a hard reset to a real system.

If you can reach the guest system (with RDP or SSH) then is betted to a clean guest shutdown.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You do risk some corruption. A hard shutdown is always risky but if you have no choice. As Andre said if you can access the machine with other access methods you are better off doing a clean shutdown.

You may get some space back after you shutdown but probably not enough to be safe.

How did you get to the point where you had no space. Snapshots?? I would make plans to add additional storage and move the VM.

0 Kudos
Bhavikpatel
Contributor
Contributor

Andre

Yes..I can reach the guest system with SSH.

What you think what is best option.. for Guest shutdown OR to come out with this situation.

vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/.vmx stop. Is this right option ?

Is this right way to go ahead

1. Guest shutdown

2. add usb drive

3. powered on VM on safe mode and backup unwanted data to usb drive

4. powered on VM to Normal mode.

5. clone and move VM to another datastore

Thanks

Bhavik

Thanks

Bhavik

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Shutdown from within the client is always the best method.

ESXi does not support USB attached storage so you will not be able to attach USB to the ESXi host. How big is your other datastore? You can use several methods for moving your current VM to another datastore.

0 Kudos
Bhavikpatel
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I do not wants to move VM to usb drive? i just wanted to move unwanted data or files to make sure when i boot up again in normal mode will have atleast more than 1 GB to work.

and later on i just move VM to another datastore. ( VM size is 85 GB and i have 100 GB spare on another datastore..so i can move it at the end of day)

so, vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/.vmx stop. THIS COMMAND IS OK..RIGHT

-Bhavik

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I do not wants to move VM to usb drive? i just wanted to move unwanted data or files to make sure when i boot up again in normal mode will have atleast more than 1 GB to work.

and later on i just move VM to another datastore. ( VM size is 85 GB and i have 100 GB spare on another datastore..so i can move it at the end of day)

ESXi does NOT support USB. If you are attaching the disk directly to your workstation and copying data to that OK. The new datastore isn't much larger than the VM.

so, vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/<datastorename>/<vmname>/<vmname>.vmx stop. THIS COMMAND IS OK..RIGHT

Does this mean that you can't directly get to the guest. If you can log in to the guest OS and shut it down you are far less likely to suffer corruption. What OS is the VM

0 Kudos
Bhavikpatel
Contributor
Contributor

I am using Win-2008 (64-bit)

I can View the Login Screen using VIC (but i cannot perform any options like ctr-alt-del or any other)

Secondly i can get to SSH and view all VM information. so, i think

vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/.vmx stop. is only command i can use to STOP guest O/S before Power Off VM.

Basically is is good to STOP Guest O/s before power off VM .right?

See to be frank i am not well-versed ..with Vmware and i wants to make sure to avoid possible corruption before using shutdown command.

Thanks

Bhavik

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Can you get to the VM with RDP client. If not you must do a shutdown.

Secondly i can get to SSH and view all VM information. so, i think

vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/<datastorename>/<vmname>/<vmname>.vmx stop. is only command i can use to STOP guest O/S before Power Off VM.

If you are using SSH to the ESXi host then vmware-cmd doesn't exist. If you are using the vmware rCLI tools then you will need to use a different set of options.

Withe ESXi you need to use vim-cmd to power off the VM.

vim-cmd vmsvc/power.off "vmid"

The vmid is obtained with (number in the first column for the VM)

vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms

This is a hard off if the machine doesn't have vmware tools.

Basically is is good to STOP Guest O/s before power off VM .right?

See to be frank i am not well-versed ..with Vmware and i wants to make sure to avoid possible corruption before using shutdown command.I can View the Login Screen using VIC (but i cannot perform any options like ctr-alt-del or any other)

0 Kudos
Bhavikpatel
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Run command (vmware-vim-cmd vmsvc/power.off "vmid"

execute the command and shows

msg="operation failed since another task is in progress."

Cannot power off VM

Thanks

Bhavik

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

This means you are using ESX rather than ESXi.

You can go back to your earlier command vmware but add hard to it

vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/.vmx stop hard

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If that doesn't work

Use the following to list the worldID

vm-support -x

Then use the following with the worldID

vm-support -x "worldID"