VMware Cloud Community
Burny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The dreaded "arp bug" in e1000 driver. Losing connection with ESXi server every couple minutes

Hello all,

I've been testing ESXi for some weeks now. It's running on consumerclass hardware, Asus P5K, E6650, 4GB ram, Intel "e1000" 82541PI Gbit NIC.

Every couple of minutes i loose all network connectivity the ESXi host (and my VM's, my infrastructure client, etc).£

The only solution is to reboot the network managment,

and sometimes even the ESXi host.

Observing the problem, i found something strange.

This is a ping result, when everything is working fine.

10.0.0.50 is my ESXi host:

-

ping 10.0.0.50

Pingen naar 10.0.0.50 met 32 byte gegevens:

Antwoord van 10.0.0.50: bytes=32 tijd<1 ms TTL=64

arp -a

10.0.0.50 00-50-da-44-8c-49 dynamisch

-

Now it gets interesting, here is a ping result when i have lost connection:

-

ping 10.0.0.50

Pingen naar 10.0.0.50 met 32 byte gegevens:

Antwoord van 10.0.0.50: bytes=32 tijd<1 ms TTL=250

arp -a

10.0.0.50 00-1d-7e-d0-56-34 dynamisch

-

The only kind of connection i can 'establish' at this point, is that ping result. Al other (VI client, RDP to VM's, Putty SSH to host) fail.

How come i still get an ping answer from my ESXi host? And why did the Time to live change? And more importantly, the ARP result (MAC ID) also changed, wich is impossible. But that is causing my problem.

I found posts about similar problems, but even the latest updates (including a e1000 driver update) dit not help.

To add to the confusion i also have this problem with 3com NIC's, wich use another driver. Only the period differs, on 3com NIC's i get a couple of hours connection before this problem occurs.

Does anyone has a solution for this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sounds like an IP address conflict to me. If you completely shut down your ESXi host, do you still get ping responses from this IP address?

Could you verify the MAC address of your hardware and the MAC address of the VMware Management Interface?

When you have this problem with other network cards and drivers, are you still using that same IP address? What happens if you switch to a different IP? Also, what subnet mask are you using?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sounds like an IP address conflict to me. If you completely shut down your ESXi host, do you still get ping responses from this IP address?

Could you verify the MAC address of your hardware and the MAC address of the VMware Management Interface?

When you have this problem with other network cards and drivers, are you still using that same IP address? What happens if you switch to a different IP? Also, what subnet mask are you using?

0 Kudos
Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have created myself some strange problems with Nics in the past.. have a look at this thread and follow it maybe the files and suggestions could assist. I had a problem with Mac addresses and you may findsome help in here.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/191086

Burny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Seems like you were dead on. A VOIP device had the same static IP.

It's only powered on from time to time and i got so carried away with the arp bug, that i forgot the obvious.

Thanks for the clear view!

@ formatter: also thanks for the reply, very useful info in that link.

0 Kudos