VMware Cloud Community
sjonesBTS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Testing Alarms

I have several alarms setup on the DC level for my cluster. I'm curious how I can test the alarm action function to make sure it emails out properly. I have the SMTP setup, but didn't know if there was any easy way to test this without forcing. Is there a wayt to do this? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

something else I just found

if you don't want to set the alarm to trigger when is 50% (by modifying the alarm) if you have windows as VM

you can use this tool CPUHog that will stress the CPU to 100% and that will trigger the alarm and send you the email

http://www.microtask.ca/cpuhog.html

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

you know there are some thresholds by defaultto set an alarm for instance

Host CPU Usage by default 75% or Virtual Machine CPU Usage 75% as well.

just take for example Virtual Machine CPU Usage and set it to 50% eventually any of your VMs will cross that 50% and since the action it's to send an email you can test you SMTP configuration.

anything else just let me know

cybulsk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Similar to the previous post what I did was create a test alarm to email me when any vm was suspended, then I suspended a vm. Doing it this way I knew I had an easily triggered and repeatable event. When that email came through I knew I had set up my alerts properly.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

something else I just found

if you don't want to set the alarm to trigger when is 50% (by modifying the alarm) if you have windows as VM

you can use this tool CPUHog that will stress the CPU to 100% and that will trigger the alarm and send you the email

http://www.microtask.ca/cpuhog.html

0 Kudos