VMware Cloud Community
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

Storage and iSCSI SAN

Hello guys,

We have a iSCSI SAN and 5 HOST, from 4 of them i can add the iSCSI Storage but from one of them i can't, the strange is that from iSCSI Storage Adapters it can see the iSCSI SAN but from the STORAGE it cannot see the LUN?. I restart the Host, map and unmap the iSCSI from the SAN and rescan the Disk from the Host but nothing. Any idea?

Thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies
olegarr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What can you see if you click "add storage" from "Storage" menu?

Also, I assume you have vkernel configured on Netwroking for iSCSI...

0 Kudos
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

it show nothing but usually if i click refresh on the storage it appears but not now. I did the same procedure with the other 4 Host and work because we are sharing the same iSCSI SAN.

thanks

0 Kudos
olegarr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Let's assume you did everything the same on all 5 ESX... at that case looks like the issue is on your SAN end... Did you give your problem's host rights to use LUN? Check "iscsi initiator name" (if you using it) and all security settings for this particular host.

0 Kudos
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

yes i double check and have rw in the LUN 0

0 Kudos
olegarr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Two simple questions:

1. from your ESX can you ping iSCSI SAN? Can you telnet it by port 3260?

2. What kind of iSCSI SAN do you have?

Thanks

0 Kudos
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

yes i can ping and i can see it inside the iSCSI Software Adapter.

The SAN is from HP MSA2012i 5 TB

0 Kudos
olegarr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If from your ESX on "Storage Adapters" you can see your LUN (with correct size), that means issue is with SAN... I still think it's issue with permissions... If there is an option (I am not familiar with this SAN) set to "no security restrictions for this Volume" (or something like that) you might want to try it... Also, check if your SAN by default will allow more than 4 connections at once...

Thanks.

pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

I believe is the SAN, i check premission and sound to be OK. I'll keep find out

Thanks

0 Kudos
MattZhou
Contributor
Contributor

What's your iSCSI SAN? Is it a hardware SAN or a software solution?

0 Kudos
wgerrish82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

can you vmkping from the non working host to all of the san iscsi ip address?

i have a msa1510i (which is a right pain..) i know this sounds mad but before i upgraded to U3 sometimes i had to shutdown 1 of the working hosts, then restart the host that wouldnt add the storage even though it could see it.

very strange but this has worked for me in the past.

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

i have a software solution

0 Kudos
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

I restart the host but nothing happen. We're going to system maintenance on friday so i plan to restart the SAN. BTW yesterday i spoke with HP but they didn't find anything wrong with the SAN setup.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Many changes that you make to the vmware iscsi interface require a restart of the host.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos