VMware Cloud Community
ShawnPD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Storage Presentation

I am a n00b to VMWare and really the entire virtualization world...flame me if you must since the (RT)FM left me more confused than confused. Regardless here is my situation, we have two hosts with the same storage presented to them. One of the hosts got creamed and had to be re-initialized. Some of the storage shows up with the correct name, however some of the LUNs show up prefaced with snap-xxxxxxxx-(the real name of the storage).

I read through the SAN configuration guide and it seems if I disable (1 to 0) the LVM.DisallowSnapshotLun under LVM in the Advanced Settings selection, and rescan the storage, all of the LUNs should show with the correct name with no loss of data, correct? BTW LVM.EnableResignature is set to 0 and I assume, I would leave it set this way for the rescan.

Am I on the right track? I know if I lose the data on these LUNs, I would lose my job and times are really, really tough for n00bs and fools...I have proven to be both in the past and would!

Any/All help is appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Some of the storage shows up with the correct name, however some of the LUNs show up prefaced with snap-xxxxxxxx-(the real name of the storage)

That looks like the SAN volume name, are you using Netapp as your SAN?

BTW LVM.EnableResignature is set to 0 and I assume, I would leave it set this way for the rescan.

Sometimes I hate programmers, they are being lazy and inconsistent. 1 and 0 are yes and no, think of if that way. so the question is:

LVM.EnableResignature? 0 - NO , 1 - YES.

It's hard, my favorite is 'Are you sure you don't want to do this?" ...uh.. yeah I am sure , wait, no I do! Oh forget it!

They really need to ASK the same question each time: LVM.Resignature 1 - YES , 0 NO. That's how it SHOULD look.

But programmers don't actually do the work themselves, they just expect you to figure out their logic, which is hard, since they don't think.. logically...

Chamon
Commander
Commander

Look around some more but you may want to mask the LUNs from the host and do a rescan and then present them back to the host and rescan again.

Take a look at this post. I don't think that the resig. is what you want to do here

http://communities.vmware.com/message/929910#929910

0 Kudos
ShawnPD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately (fortunately?) the other host failed (still have not figured out why...that's next Smiley Happy ). The other fella I work with, who is way smarter than I ever will be, ssh'd in and renamed the datastores. When we restarted the second host both could see all LUNs. I am still not sure how that all worked but it is working! Thanks for your input!

0 Kudos