VMware Cloud Community
hornet900
Contributor
Contributor

Stop shutdown via Power Button

Hi,

Simple question hope there is a simple answer.

When the power button is pressed my ESXi server will shutdown. I want to disable this so when the power button is pressed nothing happens.

I am running ESXi 3.5 update 4.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

Are you sure this is not a BIOS option? I never heard of this before. Is it shutting down "clean"?

Kind regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
hornet900
Contributor
Contributor

Not running any VM's as yet so not sure if they shutdown clean. However the server shutdowns clean.

Have looked in the bios I can not see anything to disable this.

0 Kudos
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

Could you try it when a tests-VM is running?

Kind regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
cybulsk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree with the other posts and would expect this to be a function of the hardware rather than ESX, for instance I run IBM bladecenters and I can enable or disable "local power control" on the blades from the AMM. This sounds like what you want, what hardware are you on?

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Not running any VM's as yet so not sure if they shutdown clean. However the server shutdowns clean.

To be sure that also VM are closed in the right way, enable guest shutdown in ESX / Configuration / Startup&Shutdown.

Enable the feature and choose guest shutdown instead of power-off.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos