VMware Cloud Community
PaulT00
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Stop Code 0x0000007B (inaccessible boot device) on an existing VM- not after vcenter conversion

Please forgive any misuse of terminology as I'm pretty new to the VMware technologies-

I have a VM that I created fresh- OS is win2k sp4. It has been running for about a year without any trouble. Over the last couple weeks I created some additional VM's using vcenter to create P2V's. I noticed a few days ago that my original VM which was not an import was crashed with the blue screen reading 0x0000007B (inaccessible boot device.) The VM reaches the blue screen with the same error after every restart.

For kicks I tried modifying the bus type from bus logic to LSI- a restart still yields the same blue screen during start up. (So I switched back to bus logic.) I switched the ESXi 3.5 server to maintenance mode and performed a restart. No luck again. Then I tried booting the VM into safe mode- but alas I still receive the blue screen and 0x0000007B error.

Any idea on what I should try next? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forums.

If your VM worked for a long time, there should be a problem inside the guest OS, either a corrupted driver or the registry. Take care to configure the SCSI controller back to its original value. You can also have a look at your storage device, in case there is a bad block on your physical disks.

If you need to recover some data from within the VM, you can attach its disk to another running Windows as a secondary virtual disk. Otherwise, you can try to attach the installation CD and attempt a Repair.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forums.

If your VM worked for a long time, there should be a problem inside the guest OS, either a corrupted driver or the registry. Take care to configure the SCSI controller back to its original value. You can also have a look at your storage device, in case there is a bad block on your physical disks.

If you need to recover some data from within the VM, you can attach its disk to another running Windows as a secondary virtual disk. Otherwise, you can try to attach the installation CD and attempt a Repair.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
PaulT00
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Franck,

I reasoned that with my other vm's being ok I maybe did not have hard drive problems, so I tried the win2k install disc and a Repair. This repair went by very quickly and on next restart everything seems fine.

I'm not sure what the initial problem was or if it has actually been solved- but your input was very helpful.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Good news! Keep an eye on that machine for some time and verify your backups, just in case...

Don't forget to close the discussion to indicate that you found a solution to your problem.

Hope you'll enjoy working with ESX!

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
PaulT00
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't see a close discussion button or link- but I did mark your initial reply as the correct answer and my initial problem was resolved. Let me know if there is any other thing I need to do to close this discussion.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Perfect!

0 Kudos