VMware Cloud Community
sysjno
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Some misc questions

1) How can I tell what version of ESXi I am running right now? I installed 3 update 3, but when looking into some other questions, I ran the update in VI. Am I now at update 4?

2) Firewall - I've found some things that indicate that there is a firewall, or there may be a firewall, or there is no firewall. Does ESXi 3 have a firewall? If so, where is the docs for it? I need to know because...

3) SNMP - Again, some sources say there is no SNMP, some say there is, some indicate there's something like SNMP that isn't really SNMP. I want to monitor my ESXi server with cacti. What is needed to make that work?

4) Dell OMSA - And again... some things say I can run this, some say I can't, some say I have to use a customized version, some say OMSA is built in to update 4 (which is why I did the update mentioned above). What's the real story? How do I get OMSA working on my server?

5) Updating - If I do have to install a customized version of ESXi to get OMSA ( I have an ISO called "VMware-VMvisor-InstallerCD-35_Update_4-153875-i386_DELLCustomized-Ext" ), is there a way to make it leave my datastore alone? Or is there absolutely no choice but to move the VMs off, install, and then move them back on again? All storage is DAS right now... no SAN (yet).

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you prefer Windows or Linux? The RCLI is available for both. With Linux you would install in on a Linux box (not directly on the ESXi host) or you can download a Liunx VM with the RCLI pre-installed. I can send you the link if you're OK with Linux.

0 Kudos
sysjno
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm importing the VIMA VM now.

0 Kudos
Dethpod
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Replacing the oem.tgz file with the dell.tgz file worked perfect!

"4) You can't take the OMSA package that would install on regular ESXand use it with ESXi. For hardware venders they have to provide health monitoring via CIM providers.

Those changes should be bundled in oem.tgz. If you look at the update 4 patch files, there will be a zip of about 44 MB. Within that you'll find this file ESXe350-200901401-O-SG\ESXe350-200901401-I-SG.zip\ESXe350-200901401-I-SG\VMware-OEM-image.tar.gz\VMware-OEM-image.tar\(i'm not sure this is the update 4 patch I'm look at but the path will be similar).

In the VMware-OEM-image.tar file are oem.tgz files for each vender. I'm not sure if the update client should be using those, but if you're at update 4 I would check to see if the oem.tgz on your /bootbank partition matches the dell.tgz file. If not, I would copy the dell file over oem.tgz."

Openmanage works great!!

-Dethpod

0 Kudos
sysjno
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"For hardware venders they have to provide health monitoring via CIM providers."

How do you access the "health monitoring" with CIM? CIM expects the login to be domain\username What is the "domain"???

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos