VMware Cloud Community
ocheeslice
Contributor
Contributor

Solaris 10 (32 bit) vm will not power on

I created two solaris 10 (32 bit) vm's and did not have any trouble with them. Now one of them will not power on after a reboot of the esx host. I powered down the guest and then entered maintenance mode and rebooted the host. This was where I noticed that the one VM would not power back on. I removed it from inventory and deleted it from disk and tried to rebuild it. I get all the way to the end of disk one where it prompts to change to disk 2 and reboot. I change the disk and click reboot and the system reboots but can not resume. It prompts to choose between normal startup and the failsafe and then goes to a black screen and powers off. When I put disk one back in it does the same thing.

When the host was taken down for a reboot, I changed the bios settings for Virtualization Technology to Enabled. I have three hosts and all three are now set to enabled. The other solaris box I have created before changing this bios setting has not rebooted or been powered it down so I'm not sure if this is the problem. I can't loose this other solaris box so trying a reboot on it is not an option.

Any thoughts on why I can't get this solaris install to work or the reboot/power on problem?

I found this in the Task & Events:

VMware ESX Server unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0) Could not reserve memory for vmm64. Are you sure your VM specifies a 64-bit guest OS type?

The ISO files that I used are for the 32 bit Solaris 10 install. Not sure why it is giving this message.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ocheeslice
Contributor
Contributor

well, this keeps getting weird.

I went into Edit Settings --> Options Tab --> Guest Operating Systems (Versions Drop down) --> changed from Solaris 10 (32 bit) to Solaris 10 (64 bit) and now it works again. I don't know how, this is a 32 bit ISO install. I don't know how my production Solaris 10 (32 bit) will handle being changed to a (64 bit) but I'll post the results when I'm brave enough to try rebooting it.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Solaris 10 is trying to boot a 64-bit kernel now that it detects 64-bit capable hardware. See KB 1975 for instructions on forcing Solaris 10 to boot a 32-bit kernel.