VMware Cloud Community
Mlindsey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Snapshot Question

THanks again for all your support guys... I have ESXi up and running and have my first XP64bit client built and ready to go... Now before I run my sysprep/etc is there anything I should do? Any one have a quick guide on how to use the snapshot feature? I assume snapshot is to create images of an already built system correct? For example I run sys prep on my 64bit client and then take a snapshot? Meaning I could easily and fastly create multiple clients at one time?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

No probs. Just remember to change the system name and also the ip address once installation is done. It should be pretty straight forward from there.

RJ

Dont forget to give points to the post that gave u the solution.

May be we all live virtual lives..

Please award points if you find my answers helpful Thanks RJ Visit www.rjapproves.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

You need vCenter to deploy clones and sysprep is used to ensure each VM generated is unique and allows for a customization spec, you will not be able to deploy clones with just standalone ESXi

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Mlindsey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Darn... This is something you have to buy correct? VS was very easy to clone. Maybe I will just use VS to create my clones and then move them over to ESXi... That will work right?

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Not sure what VS is, but you have the option of creating a VM and then going into the datastore browser and click copy/paste to duplicated VM(s). If you're using ESXi 3.5u2/u3, you can take a look at my clone script: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-9321 It will not work with ESXi 3.5u4 because the VI API has gone into read-only mode for free version, if you license with Foundation+ then you'll be able to use it. You can also unlock the unsupported SSH console and manually duplicate a single VM and update the .vmx with unique names/etc.

If you want to clone from a template or clone from existing VM and use sysprep to customize each VM, you'll need vCenter.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Mlindsey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is U4... And I got a license Key off the website so I assume it isnt trial.... Unless the key is for trial? How would one find out?

I am downloading the vCenter eval now.

0 Kudos
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Well if you want to clone, another option is to use vmware convertor standalone client.

You can download it here - http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/get.html

Download it and install it in your winxp vm. Once done point it to your esx host and name a new vm and it will literally snapshot and make another vm in the esx host.

Be aware that it will assign the same ip and computer name, so you will have to log into the newly created vm and change the computer name and ip accordingly.

I have done that before to servers and worked well. I would use snapshots as back up options if all you want to do is to create multiple vms real fast without loading the whole OS using a cd.

RJ

Please award points if you find my answers helpful Thanks RJ Visit www.rjapproves.com
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can also install vmware converter on your master, and run converter from inside the vm, and create another vm directly to esx. This is esentially running a P2V conversion from within the vm, using the converter GUI. May be an easier way to go.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Unless you paid for the ESXi license, you're using the free version which also has a licensed to differentiate it from being in eval mode. You'll need at least Foundation to use the scripts, more details can be found here: http://vmware.com/products/vi/buy.html

You can temporarily deploy clones using the eval of vCenter, but after 60days you won't have that functionality anymore.

Here is a good KB that compares between ESX/ESXi: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100654...

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

Mlindsey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As for the FREE version... I must have that then as I didnt pa for anything... Is this an issue? It's not going to suddenly stop one day correct? I was under the impression the ESXi was free if only being used on 1 host.

Thanks for everyone's reply on my question... I installing the converter now... As I think that is what I am looking for... I will just remove my VM from the domain first before I use it as I dont want duplicate SID's.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

No probs. Just remember to change the system name and also the ip address once installation is done. It should be pretty straight forward from there.

RJ

Dont forget to give points to the post that gave u the solution.

0 Kudos