VMware Cloud Community
olegarr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Simple questions about ESXi

Hello:

Few simple questions about ESXi...

Is there any difference when you are using VMware converter on ESX3.5 and ESXi? I used it a lot on 3.5, but need to find out about using it with ESXi... Can I import physical server to ESXi as I am importing to regular ESX?

Also, is there any advantages to use VC if I am going to use ESXi? Only one plus I can see now is ability to manage few ESXi hosts at the same time, but I cannot use Vmotion, DRS, HA, pools and etc anyway... Is it correct?

Thanks,

olegarr

0 Kudos
2 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

1. procedure will be the same as with ESX

2. Well you can use ESXi and still use HA/DRS if you would want to, you would need to license the servers. If you aren't using any of those features the obvious reason would be central place of management & automation.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Converter wors the same way for both ESX and ESXi -

If you are licensed for it you can vmotion to and from an ESXi host - remember ESXi at the heart is the same as ESXi the major difference is ESX has a servoce console and ESXi does not -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful