VMware Cloud Community
Erick_Sasse
Contributor
Contributor

Should I get a processor with virtualization technology?

I tried to install Microsoft Hyper-V in a test machine, but the processor didn't support virtualization, so I couldn't install.

I know that ESXi should run on this processor without problems. But I'd like to know if I get a processor with this virtualization technology, is ESXi going to take advantage of it?

Is it worthy?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

As I understand it for 64 Bit MS O/S it will -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Also, you almost can't buy a processor these days that doesn't have it built it - I'd actually be surprised if you could find one (maybe a Celeron)?

0 Kudos
Erick_Sasse
Contributor
Contributor

Really? I had Windows Server 2008 running in a new Core 2 Duo 4600 and I could install Hyper-V because, according to Windows, the processor didn't support this virtualization technology.

0 Kudos
chriswal
Contributor
Contributor

in most bios virtualization is turned off by default. you have to enable the virtualization feature.

0 Kudos
Erick_Sasse
Contributor
Contributor

That's what I tought when I got the Hyper-V error, so I went to the BIOS setup but couldn't find any option. Read the board manual and also nothing there.

So I think that probably my processor doesn't support it.

0 Kudos
chriswal
Contributor
Contributor

i found on the intel site that the E4600 Prozessor does not support the Intel Virtualization Technology.

perhaps your board can do it if the cpu does.

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe not enabled in the BIOS? I have a Core2 6400 in a year-and-a-half old Dell desktop machine that has VT support.

0 Kudos
Erick_Sasse
Contributor
Contributor

Thansk for finding it on Intel site.

So the question remains, should I get a better processor with VT support? Will it make any difference?

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi there,

From a performance point of view we have not noticed any difference with having VT enabled or not, however as stated before in this post it is a requirement if your want to have x64 guests. Assuming you want x64 guests (and this seems to be the way the world is going, Exchange 2007 for example) then it makes perfect sense to have it.

See this article for the lowdown:

Trust this helps in some small way.

Glen

0 Kudos
Erick_Sasse
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

0 Kudos