VMware Cloud Community
albertramsbotto
Contributor
Contributor

Sharing an ISCSI hard drive with two apache web servers

Hi

I have two web servers with basic 20GB disks for OS and the like.  On one of the web servers I need to create a second disk, much larger so I can store web data that needs to be read and write. This disc needs to be shared with the second web server, so they both read and write to the same disk.  I know this can be done and was going to install OCFS2 clustered file system on the ubuntu machines to the shared VM disk on web server one.

What I need to know is whether there is an easier way of doing this, via NFS or CIFs and if there is does anyone know of some tutorials?

My network team say there is no direct access to the SANs as its one an isolated network, so storage has to present itself as a VM with a disk added.  They have also muttered to me that the SANs doesn't support NFS! Does this matter?

Cheers in advance for any help

Albert

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
albertramsbotto
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to say I have VMware work station installed but cant seem to find the option to share disks and keep getting file locking errors, can this be done in VM Workstation?

Cheers

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I think the easiest way would be to share disks via NFS - here is a link from google - http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux-and-open-source/set-up-easy-file-sharing-with-nfs-on-linux/

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
albertramsbotto
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I know I can do this, but if I create 2 disks, one for each web server, that has OS on each and a larger disk on one of the web-servers to host my data directory, so both web servers can access it, what happens if the VM that the larger data disk is on goes down?, does this mean that both web servers cannot access the disk? or is the disk independent of the under lying OS?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
albertramsbotto
Contributor
Contributor

Also I dont think one can share disks in VSphere without a clustered file system such as OFCS2

Cheers

0 Kudos