VMware Cloud Community
lexi112
Contributor
Contributor

Setting Timezone

Hi all,

I can't find a way to set the timezone of the ESXi host. It is set to UTC, but I need to set it to GMT in order to use the time synchronisation of VMware tools in my Windows server guests.

I found http://www.vm-aware.com/2008/08/04/changing-esx-timezone/ but that doesn't seem to work on ESXi, as there is no /usr/share/zoneinfo folder in ESXi. I also found a reference to /etc/sysconfig/clock but this also does not exist....

Any idea?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. ESXi can only be set to the UTC timezone. The VI client will convert the time display to the local timezone of the PC running the VI client and your VMs will be fine to sync time with the host if their timezones are set appropriately.

If you haven't already done so, you should set your ESXi host to sync with an external time server.

0 Kudos
doepain
Contributor
Contributor

I have our ESXi servers syncing with our time server, but I am not sure how well that is working. I did however set the date and time based on UTC time zone, and the correct time was reflected on my client.

date -s MMDDhhmmYYYY.SS

Senior Hosting Engineer

ModusLink Open Channel Solutions, Inc.

Senior Hosting Engineer ModusLink Open Channel Solutions, Inc.
0 Kudos